SMALL TENCH RIG

georgenufc

Hi George and welcome to the Forum! :)

The reason you haven't had a reply is probably that the question is so broad. If you can tell us more about the water in question I'm sure you'll get lots of help.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

hello there im new to the world of tench fishing and on discovering one of my local ponds has tench from 1lb up to 3lb stacked in it i was wandering what would be the best way to go about catching them????

thanks in advance :)

hi george, i would use a light test curve rod [carp] a bed of hemp with sweetcorn/maize hair rigged with sweetcorn and arti sweetcorn. but there are many ways to catch them. good luck m8. :thumbs:

You'll get much better replies than this one ... but just to let you know if you are going to use maggots, then use red as the tench love them, and you'll find that they work better than the white or yellow ish coloured ones, hope this helps have fun and good luck with the fishing :rolleyes:

cheers

Mitch

hello there im new to the world of tench fishing and on discovering one of my local ponds has tench from 1lb up to 3lb stacked in it i was wandering what would be the best way to go about catching them????

thanks in advance :)

If there isn't many bigger fish than 3lb I'd use 3lb line with a wagler/match rod and a wagler/slider depending on depth to a size 16/14 hook with corn or Maggot as a hook bait .Lots of fun

hi george, i would use a light test curve rod [carp] a bed of hemp with sweetcorn/maize hair rigged with sweetcorn and arti sweetcorn. but there are many ways to catch them. good luck m8. :thumbs:

Even a light test curve carp rod would be overkill for small tench.

I'd use as small a float as I could and fish tight to feature like lilies or reeds or a sudden change in depth. If you feel you need to fish further out you could try a groundbait or maggot feeder.

One of the best things about tench is they will readily take free or cheap baits like worms, bread or as mentioned previously sweetcorn.

Don't go to complicated its highly unlikely you'll need fancy rigs! Don't forget that tench almost always feed on or an inch or two off the bottom to make sure that is there you're bait is!

Good luck

Rich

Don't forget that tench almost always feed on or an inch or two off the bottom to make sure that is there you're bait is!

I can't say that I have ever heard that one before, although that isn't to say that you won't ever catch them off the bottom.

I used to fish such a pond years ago and by far the best baits were red worms and brandlings. We used to float fish over depth, giving the float a twitch once in a while to move the bait. You will catch more in the first hour after it becomes possible to see a float than the rest of the day put together.

I also found out that it was possible to catch tiny tench by fishing in the weedy shallows right next to the bank - and I mean right next to the the bank, about two feet out from the edge.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Yup, I'd go for the float in this instance as well. If it gets windy and you can't keep a float steady, or the fish move out of range, try light leger.

Small arsley bomb, 1/8th to 1/4 ounce. Short nylon link, not fixed, to allow the weight to sink in silt, say about 4". Use a light bobbin on a longish drop from the rod. You don't have to use bolt rigs, or "clip-up" with a tight line for tench, sometimes they take a bait, but stay in one place and browse for a bit. So this means that bites can be quite a slow lift on the bobbin.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

So many possibilities and many suggested here already. I have a similar local pond where I am a member which has lots of lilies and overhanging willows.

I have found that fishing tight to cover, lilies etc with red maggots, single sweetcorn, small cubes luncheon meat, half worm all work well. To avoid the small perch and roach in the pond I also use Van Den Eynde pellets in catfood or booster flavour. They love em. Rig used are almost certainly match rod with tiny float as I dont need to cast far, if at all, or a few lengths of pole. A small cage feeder works well for certain pegs which can be great fun with a self tied size 16 hair rig and light feeder rod.

Get up early or go late and take a comfy chair to sleep on for the middle of the day.

Edited by RPM