any mechanics about

chesters1

cheers ,i have sourced the dust covers but no pistons yet ,i "may" be able to free the siezed one but its blue due to the heat.strangely a service kit over the years has gone from new everything inc pistons to just a bit of rubber

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this help? http://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/Brakes.htm...iltCaliperNotes it says The front caliper repair kit from Volvo includes two sets of piston dust covers, seals, guide pin dust covers and guide pin brake grease. May sound silly but did you try Volvo?!

Dan

Edited by Dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

it was the pistons i was after my nearest volvo spares place stopped them 6 years ago incase of litigation (modern pc thinking)

seems strange when you can buy master cyclinder replacement parts where the entire system can fail but not one piston where only half (or a quarter talking of the front calipers) of the brake on one wheel would!

volvo calipers have 4 pistons on the front a 2 on the back there is no fixed pads.so the brake would still work (albeit not as efficiently) if a piston failed.

mine was bound on full and is seized out rather than in.

blimey that was quick the kit arrived this morning with 2 free sweeties (i kid you not)

but if i cant remove the piston without damaging it i will be looking for another ,compressor only goes up to 180lb

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I hate to be a pessamist but if the pistons stuck in that hard you'll prob need a new calliper! Mind you the slave cylinders on my old Ford consul were shot and the barrels were scored to b*ggery, i smoothed them off with 1000 wet and dry, put in new seals and they were as good as gold!

dan

There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot!

Its nice here! http://www.twfcorfu.com

had fun blasting the wrong one out with me compressor (whoops) put it back in and the other one popped out with gusto. THEN came the problem how do you get the other one out once theres a gaping hole in the opposite side!!!

lots of futile attempts then i put a rubber glove in the hole and held a plastic top of a plumbers flux pot over the hole as the air went in it pushed the glove into any gaps in the difference between the top and the caliper and out the other one popped.

cleaned both pistons the boiled the caliper for half an hour to remove the sludge behind the stuck piston (obviasly been boiling the fluid).

piston came out clean as a whistle after a bit of wire wool,blew through holes to get any remaining crap out fitted new seals and dust covers and pins and its as good as new.back on car hoorah

to get a good airtight seal on the compressor to fluid intake hole i simply soldered a bit of copper tube onto a spare brake fitting screwed it into the fluid in hole pushed on the tyre inflation thingy and bobs your relation.

now for the other side!!!

Edited by chesters1

Chesters1, W. Heath Robinson was also a great mechanic. :thumbs:

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.

luckily it wasen't the front it has 4 pistons :o

Well now I KNOW where I am taking my car for a repair next time!!!!! :P

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

the garage :D

as most braking is done on the front i would have been more careful with those ,mind you i expect its little different to refurbishers using the exact same bits and who knows who works for them.

once all the wheels are done its going to be a total fluid change i haven't seen brown fluid with froth in the filler for a long time :o

one thing i hadn't realised was (never had rear discs before) there are 2 sets of brakes on the rear wheels ,the disc brakes and within the hubs brake shoes (the hand brake) ,you learn something every day.

found the steering ball joints are perished so they are next ,luckily (well on the side i have been playing on) the main bushes are ok ,big big deal replacing those!! my bro inlaw borrows my SDS drill and batters them out then batters the new ones in because they are so tight.

Edited by chesters1

the other caliper also had a seized piston (so the owner had been driving about with his brakes half on) this one was more difficult (i had to buy a kosher brake spanner to get the pipe out this time) and a bang so loud as the stuck piston came free at about 120psi made the mrs come investigating ,a quick clean and boil and all was well and back on the car ,good job i bought 2 sets of seals and dust covers! only one front one to do now (the other one was fine on the front)