Ewe Nuts

When they break down, which doesn't take very long, they look very much like fish poo anyway. They don't look particularly digestible but seem to look fairly innocuous (far less polluting than any meat based bait). Perhaps somebody else might be able to give you the answer on that one.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahhh, good old Ewe Nuts. The secret that the bait companies hoped would never get out.

They`re a brillant groundbait and its very difficult to over-do. The most I`ve put out at one time is 25lb and boy did the bream appreciate that!

No need to blend them, just add a little boiling water, shake the bucket and let them semi disintegrate, scalded pellet fashion.

If you really want to get the bream going mad then boil some liquid molasses and water and add this to the pellets. The pellets absorb all the liquid but don`t turn into a mass sticky goo (which happens if you pour on neat molasses). Like this, they`ll easily release from a spod.

I`ve caught carp over Ewes in low stock density lakes so they definitely attract them in but the bream do love the things so be prepared!

wolf.gif

Ahhh, good old Ewe Nuts. The secret that the bait companies hoped would never get out.

They`re a brillant groundbait and its very difficult to over-do. The most I`ve put out at one time is 25lb and boy did the bream appreciate that!

No need to blend them, just add a little boiling water, shake the bucket and let them semi disintegrate, scalded pellet fashion.

If you really want to get the bream going mad then boil some liquid molasses and water and add this to the pellets. The pellets absorb all the liquid but don`t turn into a mass sticky goo (which happens if you pour on neat molasses). Like this, they`ll easily release from a spod.

I`ve caught carp over Ewes in low stock density lakes so they definitely attract them in but the bream do love the things so be prepared!

That's a brilliant tip, many thanks....... :thumbs:

How much water/mollases do you need to pour on to get a dryish mix?

CheersBarry

:D

Barry

How much water/mollases do you need to pour on to get a dryish mix

Hard to say really!

Obviously you don`t want to flood the pellets as they`ll breakdown but by using only enough water to `thin` the molasses as its warming will reduce the chances of this happening. The waters only realy there as a carrier.

At a rough guess I`d probably say I used a pint or so of liquid for a 6lb bucket of Ewes.

The molasses is a great additive.

Try a tank test on them before adding any extra stuff. After fifteen minutes or so they`ve broken down and a while later theres a lovely cloud of CSL sitting over the pellets. Just imagine this with added molasses! It looks absolutely lovely!

In the swim the broken down pellets just form a big mush of attraction. Any fish moving over them will be wafting up all that smell and clouds of food. It colours the water and keeps the fish mooching round for ages. Theres not really anything of substance for them to feed on so they start grubbing round looking for larger food items. Theres enough small food to keep the roach active. This brings in the bream and tench and the carp are never far behind to investigate all the commotion. It must be a frustrating situation for the larger fish as their taste receptors are in overdrive but they can`t find any food!

Oh, one bait off to the side of a large bed of Ewes is recommended as it often gets ignored by the bream.

wolf.gif

If you prepare them in the way you talk about can they be used in PVA

Is spodding the best way to fish with them?? How about using them dry ina PVA bag with no water and monly molasses being used??

If i pour straight molasses of the pellets does it turn them to a mush?

Oh dear - I have to confess to being a real prat here. I went into a local tackle shop and bought two bags of seemingly cheap "carp pellets". It has been a while since I bought ewe nuts and I had forgotten exactly what they looked like (I thought the last ones I bought were fairly green and these are brown). I paid £2.50 each for two fair sized bags and you've guessed it - on close inspection they are obviously ewe nuts. I could have got a sack full for the price I paid for those two bags. These smell very strongly of molasses and probably cost about two quid for 20 kilos at the source. Oh well - you live and learn.

By the way, there is absolutely no need to prepare them, just put them straight in, as they will break down within ten minutes. I put some in the margins and soon had a cloud of fry gobbling away at the mush.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

My sheep farming friend is on holiday at the moment, but I'll ask her when she returns. I think that there are different 'types' of ewe nuts.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

If you prepare them in the way you talk about can they be used in PVA

Yeah. just so long as you`ve not over done the liquid the pellets will be fine in pva. If they`re prepared the night before they`ll have absorbed all the liquid and will be fine.

Is spodding the best way to fish with them?? How about using them dry ina PVA bag with no water and monly molasses being used??

I either spod them out or (cough, cough) run them out in the boat (its quicker!) If you have a small amount of pellets in another tub that have been given extra water so they`ve broken down into a mush then you can use that as the plug.

If i pour straight molasses of the pellets does it turn them to a mush?

Nope, the molasses is way too thick to soak into the pellets and it makes them very difficult to use. They stick in the spod, they stick in the boat and they`re a pain to catty. I did a bucket with neat molasses once and regretted it as they took forever to get out into the swim.

wolf.gif

Yep but what is corn steep liquor ?

Hi Rob

Corn Steep Liquor (AKA condensed fermented corn extractives) is a by-product of the production of glucose from maize starch. It is used to make food for pigs and ruminants.

See here for more info.

http://www.tateandlyle.com/TateAndLyle/pro...htm?prod_id=941

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote