My first barbel!

Aaron1976

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well I may be a bit slow these days but I can read a set of scales.

Agree that it doesn't look massive but that's what it weighed...simple as

Just for comparison, this weighed in at 9lb (my first barbel over 3lb)...

barbel.jpg

"Lets put this one back straight away....."

post-12624-1184591501_thumb.jpg

Nice photo but I don't think it 'proves' much....I've seen photos of pike which look like they would be 15/16lb but are are over 20 and vice versa.

Photos from different angles can be misleading and also you really don't get an idea of the broadness of a fish when shot side on etc.

Next time (if I ever catch another) I will take clear photos of the reading of the scales, pictures of the fish next to a tape measure and perhaps I might make some moulds as well so I can send them them off for verification.

Nice photo but I don't think it 'proves' much....I've seen photos of pike which look like they would be 15/16lb but are are over 20 and vice versa.

Photos from different angles can be misleading and also you really don't get an idea of the broadness of a fish when shot side on etc.

Next time (if I ever catch another) I will take clear photos of the reading of the scales, pictures of the fish next to a tape measure and perhaps I might make some moulds as well so I can send them them off for verification.

Actually, I wasn't out to disprove the weight of your barbel, I thought maybe a few more 'grip-n-grin' shots with accompanying weights might demonstrate how images and weights line up. I understand the grief having someone put down a weight claim - I caught a good pike several years ago (I was teenager then) that was over twenty pounds but all these years later a fishin' buddy insists it barely made 15lbs.... what can you say....

"Not bovered!"

Yeah it was rubber really and took me a while to make as the moulds are tough to get right...pretty realistic eh

Neil, I meant almost fooled by the photoshopped Wilson, not your barbel :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Neil, I meant almost fooled by the photoshopped Wilson, not your barbel :)

Me too Anderoo, in fact it left me puzzled, as to which was rubber, the fish, or the John Wilson. :blink:

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Well, if that previous barbel weighed 12lbs then I`ve bust the UK record a number of times.

Note to self - get a set of Neils scales........

Sorry mate, I`m not normally in the habit of disputing weights but there is no way on this earth that the fish weighed 12. Its not knocking you so don`t take it like that but I`d suggest you check your scales against a known weight.

You would have to be 7 1/2ft, 35 stone with hands the size of kites to make a 12 look as small as that.

Even being generous I`d say it`d struggle to make 6lb

Edited by Severn Wolf
wolf.gif