Ancient Squidder Owners

Vagabond

Before you ask, the "ancient" refers to the Squidders themselves - the two other Squidder owners I know on AN are mere striplings!

Have recently replaced a couple of worn parts on my Squidder, and it is slinging leads again like a good 'un.

However, when I came to re-assemble the reel, just by chance I looked at the back of the eccentric jack (part number 11 - in the case of a 145 squidder, thats part 11-200) Forty years rubbing against the eccentric spring (hard steel) every time you put it into/out of free spool has worn a curved groove in the back of the eccentric jack (much softer metal). The groove on mine is just over half-way through.

That means it could well fail soon, so I have ordered a replacement NOW - before it happens.

So next time you service your old squidder, take out the eccentric jack and look at the back of it.

[ 29. May 2003, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Sod the squidders.. what about the Hardy Longbow... 1 for sale in Sea Dangler for 160 quid !!!!!!!!

I got 2 ... anyone wanna make me an offer

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

My Longbow is the 2 to 4 oz model - what are yours Davy?

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Davy Holt:

what about the Hardy Longbow... 1 for sale in Sea Dangler for 160 quid !!!!!!!!

WHAT??? I renovated mine in all original colours and accessories and gave it away! 160 quid? that is $421.00. Still, it was a gift to an American friend of mine who was returning to the USA and with whom I had enjoyed some fantastic fishing, snorkeling and scuba diving. I don't imagine that he has considered the value of it, but I would think that he still treasures it as a gift. :)

What is a Tourney worth these days?

[ 01. June 2003, 11:35 AM: Message edited by: chevin ]

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

chevin:

What is a Tourney worth these days?

At last! Somebody else who knows what a tourney is. Probably the best rod I have ever cast with. Made by Hardy, designed by Leslie Moncrief, so I was told. Pity it was somebody else's.

I think they were about £22.0 new.

The Longranger might make you an offer if he hasn't found the Super Surflite he wanted.

[ 01. June 2003, 11:21 PM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

• 6 years later...
Before you ask, the "ancient" refers to the Squidders themselves - the two other Squidder owners I know on AN are mere striplings!

Have recently replaced a couple of worn parts on my Squidder, and it is slinging leads again like a good 'un.

However, when I came to re-assemble the reel, just by chance I looked at the back of the eccentric jack (part number 11 - in the case of a 145 squidder, thats part 11-200) Forty years rubbing against the eccentric spring (hard steel) every time you put it into/out of free spool has worn a curved groove in the back of the eccentric jack (much softer metal). The groove on mine is just over half-way through.

That means it could well fail soon, so I have ordered a replacement NOW - before it happens.

So next time you service your old squidder, take out the eccentric jack and look at the back of it.

<small>[ 29. May 2003, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]</small>

I still use a penn squidder 140 and two penn 100 surf masters. I owned the 140 for years and gave up with it and moved on to a Daiwa 7ht and SL20 as they gave less over-runs when casting hard. Then I got given a 100 in bits and put it back together for the sake of it. The other 100 cost a tenner from e-bay.

I remembered hearing that you could fit magnets to brake them (alloy spool models only). I got on the internet and ordered some small rare earth magnets and also found an american forum that shows how to do it.

Basically, I stuck a galvanized washer in to the left side plate of the 100s and let a magnet sit on it. The squidder required a bit more effort to make a plate to receive the magnets.

The up-shot is they work perfectly just as well as any modern reel but with a more powerful retreive due to the lower gearing ( I also fitted the slightly longer Longbeach handles (I suppose this is a version of the modern 'power handle')

I use them loads as they are really robust and I can service them myself. Using a simple layback cast I can empty 3/4 of the spool.

I get any bits I need from Mick in Pershore who has loads of stock of old Penn parts.

Tight lines all.

Prof

Sod the squidders.. what about the Hardy Longbow... 1 for sale in Sea Dangler for 160 quid !!!!!!!!

I got 2 ... anyone wanna make me an offer

:D I sold mine, with new Fuji rings, for £20 30 years ago. It was bought S/H as my first beach rod from the Anglers Den in Gillingham, with an Intrepid Sea Streak, in 1973. :D