Whitby fishing festival full results

glennk

2007-festival-catagories.jpg

fullresults2007.jpg

Sorry to be a bit controvertial here but you have been saying a lot about how things are really superb as far as the cod fishing goes.

Can you explain why

The best cod is 25% smaller than what won last year?

That the winning cod is only 25% ish of the british record?

Surely this festival represents the results of some serious fishing time and you have accused me of painting a bleak picture of cod fishing here in the NE.

Personally I think I may be right based on what I am reading here.

Cheers

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

Hi Dave,

One wonders if your post is a serious question ?? Or something else ?

Earlier this year Paul Kilpatrick posted some pictures of the cod catches onboard his boat sea otter 2. Like the skipper and anglers of chieftain charters the year before who posted pictures of their catches he was instantly shot down in flames by people who said he had took too many, the fish were too small (although all were legally fine) etc etc etc - you know the suff that peole come out with, so you cant really blame him for not posting more pictures of cod to the forum. I have encouiraged him to post them onto my forum where fellow anglers actually congratulate each other on a good days fishing rather than give them a load of hassle.

Throughout the festival I visited Paul on his boat after I finished work. Each day I saw anglers leaving with good catches of cod. All with smiling happy faces. Whilst at the weigh ins on each day of the festival I spoke to anglers from across the country. Again in the pub on the evenings (the fleece on Church street) I spoke to many anglers (its estimated 1500 fished the festival). Not once did I hear a word of complaint from anyone and all said how surprised they were to see so many cod after all the reports in the press.

whitby-record-cod.jpg

Now as you can see no one weighed in a UK record cod, to be honest I doubt no boddy ever will, things have changed a lot since the 70's and 80's but every angler who attended the festival enjoyed good catches of cod in the 2 - 6 pound range. A lot of anglers had cod in the 6-10 pound range and a fair few had them into double figures and up to 15 pounds like Tony Morrison from Whitby. Not one angler brought to me at the weigh in a fish the size of a shoelace :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :o

Now here we go - close your eyes if you don't like fish :

COD AT WHITBY

boxesfull.jpg

ottersea1.jpg

ottersea.jpg

If you can get Defra to assure me that we can have big double figure cod like we had in the 70's and 80's Ill put you 20 quid in an envelope tomorrow morning Dave, and why you cant just admit your vid with wwf was just a little bit OTT I don't know :thumbs:

Edited by glennk

You know I've just been thinking about this and you lot appear to think I don't want bigger fish in the sea ? is that what your thinking Dave ?

Actually I do I'd love it. It gives me a thrill to see fish and lots of them. I'd be even happier if they were all great big huge things.

Asked and ANSWERED I think chaps??

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Guest challenge

If a competition can attract 1500 anglers to Whitby then all I can say is well done. To the organisers to the sponsors and too all the people who took part.

I assure you that many of them that took part this year won’t just be returning for a chance of the prize money next time there’s a festival in Whitby, they will be returning for the chance to experience some more, great fishing...

Regards.

If a competition can attract 1500 anglers to Whitby then all I can say is well done. To the organisers to the sponsors and too all the people who took part.

I assure you that many of them that took part this year won’t just be returning for a chance of the prize money next time there’s a festival in Whitby, they will be returning for the chance to experience some more, great fishing...

Regards.

Excellent reply Challenge...yes I think all who must have gone for the festival had a good time,reading the reports..and I must say Glenn and Big Cod thanks for the updates daily...well done the winner and all who fished it.