Weather

Leon Roskilly

Thanks for the reports lads. :thumbs:

My wife is travelling down to see my daughter in London this afternoon. We are a bit worried in case of disruption in rail travel. Not seen anything reported on the web yet, but if you could keep the reports coming, (esp' the M1- A1 corridor, that's roughly the route of the rail line), it would be of great help and possibly put my wifes mind at rest, (or not, as the case maybe :unsure: ).

Cheers

John.

For up to date road conditions this site is very useful as it gives expected delays on all main routes: http://www.keepmoving.co.uk/traffic.aspx

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the pressure forecasts it looks as the low bringing this rain is going to hang around for a while, only to be replaced by another developing low pressure system.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/surface_pressure.html

Welcome to the Summer of 2007!

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

In East Kent we've escaped very lightly - just as the BBC local forecast suggested. The rain we've had both in Sellindge and Wingham has been intermittant and not often heavy, although we did have some thunder in the night Peggy tells me. I slept through it!

In fact, there had been less than 1mm recorded in the last 24 hours to 11.59 this morning in Ash, just down the road from Wingham.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed we don't get much more rain at Wingham. The water level is higher than at the forum Fish-In in May and several more swims are flooded. At least I can still get across the ford though. Well I could yesterday!

What worries me most though is what will happen to the water table if it doesn't drop during the summer. It's almost bound to rise during the autumn! :blink:

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

In fact, there had been less than 1mm recorded in the last 24 hours to 11.59 this morning in Ash, just down the road from Wingham.

My home made rain guages (we must one day have a competition to find the most uses for empty plastic milk cartons!) show some 10mm just over this way, since I put them out last night.

I reckon that nearly all of that came from the heavy burst we had earlier, when swiped by the tail end of that thing.

It seems to be the Greater London area that is coping it now, together with a much bigger area to the west of London, along the M4 corridor and north of that.

Skies here are much lighter now, with the sun even threatening to break through.

Edited by Leon Roskilly

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Guest Rabbit

Just drove to Cheltenham and back, it is horrendous, but still they drive with no lights and tail gate :headhurt:

Had over 4'' in 6 hours :unsure:

The Severn might carry a tinge of colour for the week-end though :thumbs:

Edited by Rabbit

It's just cloudy here,although the wind is picking up a bit.

Not the slightest hint of rain at the moment,the dark clouds are just rolling past us. :rolleyes:

IF IT'S CALLED "COMMON SENSE" WHY DO SO FEW PEOPLE HAVE IT.

A beautiful morning on the Marsh, some light misty rain that was gone before breakfast and then the sun appeared.

The inability of the Authorities to accurately forecast the weather for the coming 24 hours, is something that amazes me, in this technical/computer age.

It is no more accurate now, than it was when I was a kid.

At least it gives Leon something to do. :lol:

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

The inability of the Authorities to accurately forecast the weather for the coming 24 hours, is something that amazes me, in this technical/computer age.

It is no more accurate now, than it was when I was a kid.

Sorry, Brian, I can't agree with you here. IMO the forecasts, both the 24 hour ones, and especially the longer range ones are much more accurate now. Indeed, I can now plan trips days ahead with some certainty.

In this particular case a storm on Friday was forecast about a week ahead. The detail was filled in more and more accurately as it approached. Just yesterday evening on the 6.55 forecast on the early evening local news it was suggested that East Kent was likely to escape lightly. This of course has happened, yet there's been flooding just few dozen miles away in Uckfield and Haywards Heath.

What I do accept though is that there's a tendency to forecast severe weather too often. This is because the forecasters have been taken to task in the past for not issuing warnings. The trouble is that if they're not careful they'll be accused of crying wolf and that could also have dire consequenses.

I've always wanted a river at the bottom of my garden. This isn't quite what I meant :unsure:

Greenhouse is in a dip, so it's got a couple of inches, I'm going to go for a look at the end of the garden to see if that torrent affects us.

flood.jpg