Baiting up for bream

The Flying Tench

I'm trying to catch some bream in a lake where I'm told you need to cast out 50 yards - not unusual, I imagine. Unfortunately I'm not great at casting, and I lack confidence in my ability to build up a swim at that distance.

But how do carpers do it? I never see them doing repeat casting to build up a swim. I realise they sometimes put a lot of stuff in using spods, bait boats etc. But am I right that sometimes they will just put a load of pellets in a dissolvable bag and cast out and hey presto, that's it for an hour.

Might this be a better strategy for bream than putting in bits of groundbait spread over a 50 square yards area?

john clarke

50 Yds isnt really that far at this distance you have a few options pellets in a dissolvable bag is no different to using a feeder except more expensive.

First option but least accurate is catapult groundbait balls.

next would be start with an oversize feeder to introduce larger amounts to begin with ( i have a cpl about the size of half a coke can) then switch to normal feeder once you have the initial amount in.

Or spod/spombing .

the last 2 are of equal accuracy done correctly.

My main approach would be around 5 or 6 large spods of particle then normal feeder approach.

Clip the spod rod and feeder at the same distance by either using 2 bank sticks or just walking it out. I dont bother allowing extra amounts of distance for the feeder because in my view a feeder dropping through 6ft of water on a tight line at 50 yds would produce an arc of very little consequence.

• Like 1

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

But how do carpers do it? I never see them doing repeat casting to build up a swim. I realise they sometimes put a lot of stuff in using spods, bait boats etc. But am I right that sometimes they will just put a load of pellets in a dissolvable bag and cast out and hey presto, that's it for an hour.

I guess you do not get to see that many Carp anglers on the waters you fish. I have seen them spend hours and hours castiing to the same spot to bait up :)

PVA bags/stockings etc is a great way to fish for a singles bite and this might be where you have seen carpers cast once. Maybe casting a small bit of bait to a showing fish or droping a bait on a patrol route.

However, with Bream fishing you are going to want to put in a reasonable amount of bait with the hope of catching multiple fish and in those cases I would do pretty much the same as Terry has posted. I tend to favour the balls of groundbait route but if it is out of my catapult range then I would spod or use a large feeder. If you don't tend to do much of this sort of fishing then just buying a good sized feeder that your rod can take would be a good way to go. You are more likely to get accuracy with your baiting if you feel comfortable in the method, if you regularly feeder fish then baiting up with this method may come more naturally.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

John, if it's the same lake you asked me about, I've caught the bream much closer than 50 yards - so first off don't believe everything you hear ;) 50 yards is pretty much a minimum for most carpers, so I expect that goes some way to explaining it.

Spods or spombs are the quickest, most accurate way to bait up. I agree with Dales and others that for bream you want a decent bed of bait, and a mix that will make it to the bottom. On the lake in question, I tried various pellets dampened with warm water and gave it a squirt of fruity flavour for good measure. This was spodded out to 2 spots, one fairly close and the other further out. Both spots produced bream, but they would come in, eat the lot, and then leave. Topping up the swims brought them back. I was using fake corn as bait.

If you don't want to go down the spod route, I'd suggest trying a closer in spot to start with and balling in groundbait/pellets, and fishing a different spot further out with a big feeder.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Thanks everyone. I'm convinced. I've got to get a spod and put in a lot of groundbait - a new type of fishing, so I'll learn form it! There's a fair bit of weed further in, at least on the pegs I have fished, so I'll have to see more carefully how far out it goes. It will certainly help if I can have one rod in range for balling it in.

I guess for spodding I'll need a hefty carp rod and strong line, probably braid?

john clarke

Thanks everyone. I'm convinced. I've got to get a spod and put in a lot of groundbait - a new type of fishing, so I'll learn form it! There's a fair bit of weed further in, at least on the pegs I have fished, so I'll have to see more carefully how far out it goes. It will certainly help if I can have one rod in range for balling it in.

I guess for spodding I'll need a hefty carp rod and strong line, probably braid?

I use a midi sized spomb with my Greys 1.5lb TC twin tips for Bream. You can put balls of ground bait in as well as pellets and particles. In my experience bream don't like weed - so keep on the clear stuff!

John Rusty is your man ask him then do the complete opposite

Or you could try his fish for Perch catch Bream method

• Like 1

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

My main approach would be around 5 or 6 large spods of particle then normal feeder approach.

Clip the spod rod and feeder at the same distance by either using 2 bank sticks or just walking it out. I dont bother allowing extra amounts of distance for the feeder because in my view a feeder dropping through 6ft of water on a tight line at 50 yds would produce an arc of very little consequence.

In a shallow 6ft swim I think this tactic tends to work pretty well as the sinking arc of your feeder tends to brings the feeder to the front edge of your feed.

The problems with this tactic start in deeper water is the feeder isn't sinking in a 50yrd arc as the feeder sinks way faster than your line and gets pulled towards you as it sinks on a very short arc.

Spoding soft groundbait lacks control as its almost impossible to know where it will end up.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep