Help to Save the Cambridgeshire Lodes (drains)

mark barrett

I have signed the petition, once again angling is not considered in this project and other similar projects run by organisations such as the RSPB, bit by bit, our fishing rights are being eroded, commercial venues will be the only places to wet a line at this rate!!!

Please make a stand and sign the petition, angling cannot afford to keep losing venues such as these.

I am a match angler .....not an anti-Christ!!!]

Thanks Mark. That was the information I was missing and your objections now make sense to me.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Historically the fens were marsh land and as Mark notes, shallow and not suitable for larger fish except in the deeper natural channels that were hard to locate unless you were very familiar with the area..

I'm not an expert on this by any stretch of the imagination, but if the aim is to restore the fens back to how they were a few hundred years ago it's never gonna work - those areas that were drained for farming have now, due to shrinkage and/or removal of Peat for fuel, sunk down about 10 feet or more lower than the levels of the drains themselves.

Maybe, and it's a big maybe, in a few hundred years or so they may begin to resemble what was once there, in the meantime they will have destroyed some of the best fishing and wildlife habitats in that part of the country.

I was only introduced to the delights of the lodes about 3 years ago and haven't fished them as much as I would like to, but it would be a sad day indeed if I was never able to fish 'em again!

I'm sure that those that will gain economically from this scheme will continue to claim that 'it's all to benefit the environment...'

Please sign the petition & get your friends & aquaintances to do the same. :thumbs:

Barry