Rod sections stuck

Rock Hopper

Had a similar experience myself once.

I believe you are better off using a silcone-based lubricant rather than WD40 and leaving the rod out in the cold, then trying should help.

However, for future reference, before putting any carbon rod sections together, just rub down lightly with an unlit candle. It might be a while before it wears down to close snuggly, but the candle wax lubricates it sufficiently so that any high-spots don't stick. Worth rubbing on all joints once a year to keep them smooth.

cheers

soap

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not tried the knee method. Will give it a go. Tried taking out the bottom bung but no good. Tried with a mate twisting, pulling, you name it. Describes on the booklet that comes with the rod that it has a " strong spigot joint. " You're not bloody joking. Still I'll try what suggested & look at the site mentioned, cheers.

Seriously mate, it does work.

We used to use the same method to part some erecting poles when in the Paras. The point is that your thigh muscles are stronger than your arms and the hands only grip each blank, either side of the spigot so force is directed in equal and opposite directions; not twisted etc.

the two man method is risky carbon is wound on a Mandrell one of you will be twisting in the Direction that the Carbon was wound on to it, this apart from crushing the blank is the most vunerable range of movement you could expose the blank too try the same tecnique useing a section of Bike inner tube wrapped around the blank but work on your own just prior to twisting run the blank under the hot tap for ten minutes in the area of the spigot.scotsgunn method works but Growing a third Gooley (Hernia) is a Real possibility if you are a fat unfit old dollop like me!! if it went together it will come apart mate Just take it easy Ive had to have five or six goes on a north weston uptider before now!!!

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Tried with hot water over the female side of the spigot then pulling & I am slowly but surely getting it apart. Tried the knee method but kept falling over. Might be best done sober. Perhaps might have it done by the time I go on my planned beach session later this month, & slot it back together again. I've been told to rub the male end with pencil graphite or candle wax to stop it sticking next time. Don't know if thats good advice!

Tried with hot water over the female side of the spigot then pulling & I am slowly but surely getting it apart. Tried the knee method but kept falling over. Might be best done sober. Perhaps might have it done by the time I go on my planned beach session later this month, & slot it back together again. I've been told to rub the male end with pencil graphite or candle wax to stop it sticking next time. Don't know if thats good advice!

Mate what ever you do dont do the candle wax thing It used to be a cure for a lose spigot as the wax took up a couple of microns of slack, do it to a tight fitting Jiont and you will be back in the same boat But worse, once you have separated the rod just dont push it back together so hard The pencil thing might work I dont Know. I used to 4000 grit wet and dry the male section just enough to create a small amount of slurry then stop, if you over do it, when you get a bit of Natural wear you get the flip side of the problem it gets way to lose and you end up casting the tip section out to the horizan.

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

The one sure fire way is to get a packet of frozen peas or similar and lay them over the joint for 20 mins then you should be able to pull it apart easliy.

Garden or processed ??? I usually use frozen Carrots.... :yeah::D :D :D:yeah:

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

processed peas come in a tin you idiot

D'oh,...Do they ??? :):)

I hate P 's anyway....!!!!!! BUT, you didnt answer about Carrots...Hmmmmm, Carrots..... :rolleyes:

You still smiling about yer Porgy ?? :thumbs:

Apologies to RH for going a tad off topic...:)

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/