nikon D40x or canon 400D

Happy Dude

hi,

i'm wanting to get away from my digital compact which i'm finding a bit limiting.

which of these cameras is best, any opinions?

thanks in advance

les

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

WalkingPinhead.gif

I'm a Nikon bod, myself! Both are very good, but I have a sneaking suspicion that there may be more limitations with the D40x in terms of the compatability of lenses that can be used with the body - there is no focussing motor in the body of the camera itself, so you could not use lenses which are driven by the camera itself - you could only use lenses which themselves incorporate the focussing motor. This may not be a problem, as most of the recent Nikon consumer lenses will be functional - some of the older beasts may not.

One other thing - the D40x uses SD memory cards, whilst other Nikon bodies use CompactFlash in the main (as do Canon, I think) - only of relevance if you ever want to upgrade to a different body - you may have to shell out for different memory cards if you do.

I've found this review - I think it does some comparison between D40x and 400D, which I hope is of help.

I'll try to dig out some info on the lens issue.

DP Review of Nikon D40x

Here's their review for the 400D

DP Review of Canon EOS 400D

Hope these help.

ATB,

Westie.

Edited by Westie

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

Last camera mag I bought said there was zero technically to differentiate the two cameras. Sure they have slightly different features and technical pluses and minuses but all weighed up together they come out equal. I would suggest personal choice comes down to it in the end but have a look at the reviews and see what does it for you.

Rob.

Heres the side by side technical specifications of the two cameras, also at dp review 400D v's D40x and as Rob says, there is very little between them.

Can you get to a shop where you can play with both cameras,so you can see which feels best to you?

Westie, interesting stuff. I wasn't aware of the focussing issues, it'll be interesting to see what other info you can find on that. As for the memory card thing, I wouldn't worry too much about that as I have seen Compact flash cards at £5 for a 1gb.

Steve...:)

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

Re camera feel in hand. If you try the 400D and think it might not feel that great (I dont know, you might think that) try it with the added battery grip. I've got the grip and love it. It feels way way better to hold for mine and, the extra shooting you get due to battery life is awsome. Another plus about the grip is that they (some of them anyway) come with shutter release button on the side. Very handy for when the camera gets turned for those portrait style shots, you dont have to swivel your hands around.

HB.

PS, I've got the canon and love it, but I'm sure if I'd gone to the dark side (Nikon) that I'd love that too.

rb_getcreative.gif

Westie, interesting stuff. I wasn't aware of the focussing issues, it'll be interesting to see what other info you can find on that. Steve...:)

Not been able to find an article on it, but it seems that any lens on the D40x has to have its own focussing motor on board the lens. I think that this could preclude the use of some prime lenses, other other older lenses like the 80-200, which rely on the camera body's focussing motor, which is lacking in the D40x. I understand that Sigma have just released some new lenses with HSM which will work on the D40. This is probably only a marginal negative, given that the most recent Nikon releases have focussing motors on board the lens itself. I'm sure I saw a list of compatible lenses somewhere, but I'm struggling to find it.

I agree that this one is what feels good in the hand - it is what swung me in my choice. I looked at the D80 and found that it was too small for my comfort. The D200 had a bigger body. I'm still contemplating a grip myself. Sharon doesn't know that... :).

HB - As for the 'dark side' that is Nikon - that made me chuckle. You Canonites are all the same - dissing your poor Nikon relations. :P:yeah: LOL

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

HB - As for the 'dark side' that is Nikon - that made me chuckle. You Canonites are all the same - dissing your poor Nikon relations. :P:yeah: LOL

It was announced earlier this year, start of April if I remember correctly that Canon and Nikon would merge soon. They will take the "Can" from Canon and "on" from Nikon to make one company...Canon..lol

Westie, I'll look into the d40 issues, see what I can find.

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

It was announced earlier this year, start of April if I remember correctly that Canon and Nikon would merge soon. They will take the "Can" from Canon and "on" from Nikon to make one company...Canon..lol

Like I said, you Canonites are all the same. :lol:

I think Canon stands for:

Can't

Abide

Nikon's

Optical

Ne plus Ultra

:clap2::clap2:

Westie.

Visit My Photo Gallery

hi, thanks for the replies.

yes i saw the reviews and they do seem very much identical.

i think i will go for the canon, my friend has a D5 and lots of lenses i could borrow if i speak nicely to him :kissing:

just need to find a deal.

jessops are doing a 12 months interest free thingy on bundles.

i think i'll take advantage of that as i don't have the readies at the moment, the wife has stuck it all on bingo and puggy machines :yucky::crazy:

thanks

les

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

WalkingPinhead.gif

just need to find a deal.

jessops are doing a 12 months interest free thingy on bundles.

I often find that Jessops can be significantly overpriced unless you can find the right "bundle" offer.

Try looking at Warehouse Express - it's where I get most of my stuff from. At the moment, I think they have 0% finance until August '08 - even looks like there is a £50 cashback on the Canon 400D. Have fun!

Website is here:

Warehouse Express

Westie.

Visit My Photo Gallery