Catch Report Data: Thoughts?

Steve Walker

I've recently been digging around the various sites that carry catch reports, with an eye to predicting when various species are likely to turn up at different venues. Yep, it's that time of year :)

Many of the sites don't display much archive data, and many just don't have much data at all.

I've been kicking around an idea to put up a site to capture data in a more structured way, and then provide some analysis. If I could get a reasonable amount of data for region, species, number caught, session start and end time (to calculate catch per unit effort), the system would be able to answer questions like "what can I expect to catch in the Solent area at this time of year", "when will the cod arrive in the Bristol Channel", etc.

It would be hard to generate enough traffic to get data initially, so I was thinking along the lines of providing a simple mechanism for established sites to be part of the system.

What do you think? Good idea, rubbish idea?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great idea, though maybe if it was available for all to merrily look through the data it could be too much like handing commercials valuable info for free. Perhaps some sort of secure member access control?

Shaun :)

[ 11. April 2005, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: Spur-Hound ]

Tight Lines

Shaun

You won't find a site with up to date reports. The site that can do this will be a hit. the only sure way to get true reports is to contact tackle shops in coastal areas. They have the latest catches. Only problem is, they do tend to paint a bright picture to sell bait.

Guest jay_con

Dont beleive all you here in tackle shops. Most people lie to the owners.

Nice idea sean but whats to stop commercials getting the password??? We dont have that problem with the commercials here as the local geography stops them getting to close to the shore although im sure they would if they could.

Bravenet do a good password system. I have a fishing mark gallery that I share with a friend or two. Its safely guarded by bravenets password system. Although im sure it wont be unhackable, but who would want to.

Spur-Hound:

Great idea, though maybe if it was available for all to merrily look through the data it could be too much like handing commercials valuable info for free. Perhaps some sort of secure member access control?

Shaun :)

Yeah, there is that :)

I think it would be necessary to keep the geographic granularity fairly low, simply to get enough results in a group to say anything meaningful. It could still take the venue, and display individual catch reports for people interested in the detail, but I think the real value in the project would be in providing a kind of regional angler's calendar.

I think the big difficulty is getting people to record their blanks, which are as important as the good days in terms of calculating what a likely catch will be.

I reckon the commercials already have a pretty good idea of where the fish are

kentangler:

You won't find a site with up to date reports. The site that can do this will be a hit. the only sure way to get true reports is to contact tackle shops in coastal areas. They have the latest catches. Only problem is, they do tend to paint a bright picture to sell bait.

Dunno about that; last time I was buying bait, the bloke in the shop said "you'll struggle today". He was right as well...

I agree with you, though, that it's hard to get good up-to-date information. The real benefit of this would be in pulling out patterns and trends from previous years.

Hey, I wonder whether it would qualify for some kind of global-warming-watch funding :cool:

The biggest problem is that folk want to read reports, but the majority can't be bothered to file their own. I was out for a very short cruise on Sunday (I wondered where Fubar was but discovered Huge_Vitae had been posting ). There was a bit of chat on Channel 10 from charter boats further out catching conger, and there were dozens of boats out by the Blocks off Southsea, and more dozens of bivvies on the beach and anglers fishing the harbours. But are there any reports from probably over 100 anglers in a square mile of sea? Nope :( And there are several sites covering this area in addition to AN.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

Guest jay_con

Please dont ever say whitby west pier is fishing well. Im absolutely sick of those flaming townies coming down, catching 100 macky each then leaving em to rot.

I suppose reports are only good for the day they apply to. Might as well just do your own thing, and don't take too much notice of what other people claim to have caught.

Mostly wishful thinking anyway, You only need a general indication of which species are in, and off you go!

Here's somewhere where information can be reported and accessed.

Fishbase is one of the most useful sites on the web for knowing anything about fish!

http://64.95.130.5/FishWatcher/Menu.cfm

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust