AUGERS FISHING RODS

PATTIE

I HAVE 2 RODS WITH THE NAME AUGERS ON THEM. I HAVE SEARCHED THE INTERNET FOR ANY TYPE OF REFERENCE TO THIS BRAND OF ROD AND CANNOT FIND ANY, BUT THEY OBVIOUSLY EXIST COS I HAVE 2!!!! PLEASE CAN ANYONE LET ME KNOW IF THEY HAVE HEARD OF THEM PLEASE.

there has been literally thousands of rod makers in the past and yours are from a pretty well known maker for chaps of my age ,but over time they folded or were swallowed up in byeouts or amalgamations etc.

some old names re emerge now and again ,intrepid as a tradename still soldiers on despite collapsing several times.

i have a couple of augers somewhere in the loft but i know nothing of the company which probably like many disappeared in the 70's or late 60's.

there maybe some one on here with more details but if your really interested start in old fishing books for adverts which will at least give an address and auger may have just been the tradename of another company.

the only old book i have to hand is a 1939 one which doesent mention auger ,either it didnt advertise or it came later into the fishing scene

Address 2a handsworth rd tottenham N17

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Posting some photos would help and especially if there is any sort of label or writing and you can get a close-up shot of it.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Auger was a well(ish) known Tackle wholesaler & distributor in the 50's & 60's, I think they went out of busines late 60's to Early 70's.

There were quite a lot of Cane & Fibre glass rods sold under the Auger name but I don't think they were made in house, probably produced by Marco (Modern Arms Company) or one of the other Redditch makers, all now sadly gone.....

They were also the Importers of the 'Alvey' range of reels from Oz, and that's about all I can remember.

You could try one of the UK vintage tackle collectors web sites, I'm sure that an email or two would gain you much more info.

And, as Newt suggested, photo's would be a big help.

Barry

Ooops, just remembered that Marco were in fact a South London Company - not Redditch...............

bromley ,i was a saturday boy for a few weeks ,cleaning up ready for the monday one summer holiday too far back to remember.

modern arms company

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I can remember having two Auger rods back in the early '70's. One was a 9ft quivertip or 'donkeytop', being their version of the Ken Smith rod. Think it was called the Mustang.

Also had a 14ft match rod, possibly called Valiant or Victor I think. The Auger name seemed to disappear in the later '70's.

• 5 years later...
I HAVE 2 RODS WITH THE NAME AUGERS ON THEM. I HAVE SEARCHED THE INTERNET FOR ANY TYPE OF REFERENCE TO THIS BRAND OF ROD AND CANNOT FIND ANY, BUT THEY OBVIOUSLY EXIST COS I HAVE 2!!!! PLEASE CAN ANYONE LET ME KNOW IF THEY HAVE HEARD OF THEM PLEASE.

Hi I am Mike was Managing Director of Auger Accessories and chief fishing tackle designer.

Changed name to Auger Uk