Sea fishing & accomodation

Carpinjohn

Hi all,

I'm not trying to give the skipper of the said vessel a plug, but I was on board the day the 73lb conger was caught. It was my first conger trip and it was truly a huge fish (apparently a Cornish record)at over seven feet long. I caught about ten or so eels to approx 20-25lb (my biggest fish ever) and there must have been around seventy eels (conservative estimate) caught all day, along with some ling. The majority of the fish went back alive.

The guy that caught the eel had a smile on his face for the rest of the day and hardly did any more fishing for the remainder of the trip. How do you top a fish like that.

Like I said, I'm not trying to plug (there would be nothing in it for me), but a great day was had by all. Surely this is the type of thing Anglersnet members want to read about - where to have a great day's fishing and on which boat(s) -even if the skipper is going to make a few quid out of your custom.

Hope I've not peed-off Elton on my first post,

Ian

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Codstopper,

Glad you had a good days eeling & linging but must be careful about who I mention as I'm not promoting boats or skippers either, just thought I'd bring to sea anglers attention a notable catch and purely repeated what I'd read in the????? newspaper. Being a carp man I'm used to reading in carp magazines about a "particular" carp of a "particular" weight being caught in a "local" or "undisclosed" water with a "particular" or "undisclosed" bait, why all the secrecy. Anyhow, it seems I stirred things up a bit without really trying but it has generated a a bit of a response. Who or what was it who said "its good to talk"!

Elton, thanks for your e-mail and suggestions and will reply personally.

John.

i cant see any harm in mentioning a boat or skipper in the same sentence as what you caught but blatent adverts for a company or business could be used at eltons discretion maybe under a catergorie on the main page .

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Does all this mean to say that Davy Holt cannot be mentioned in postings any more?

I had the impression that those who did the most plugging were those that also attracted the most traffic to the site.

Perception?, perception?, perception?

Jim Roper

http://www.fishandfly.co.uk/messageboard.html

[ 02. October 2002, 08:25 PM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Jim Roper:

Does all this mean to say that Davy Holt cannot be mentioned in postings any more?

]

Jim,

if you read all of the traffic involving Davy Holt you will realise that he ENTERTAINS guests for no charge at all, in fact on my trip I know it must have cost him a few bob for extra fuel and food, non of which he would take any money for.

As with several anglers on anglers net we had never met Davy but he did not hesitate in issuing an invitation to fish with him FOR FREE.

Davys site does not generate any income for him, in fact quite the opposite. Davy's site not only educates and entertains, it also explains what the Kelvin Grove is trying to achieve in the conservation of Common Skate.

With Davy there no hidden agendas.

Over the last couple of years Elton has gone through a few bad patches keeping Anglers Net running and that is the reason why some of us watch his back when there is an attempt at blatant advertising free of charge by people that originally joined to tap what could well be a good market.

As for the B&B, he has gone from trying (inocently I believe)to tap this market to an ANGLER that could possibly add to the sea fishing reports forum and possibly save us some money on a trip.

Jim, I hope I have not angered you with my comments but I will defend Davy Holt to the hilt and continue to support Elton as my way of thanking him for ANGLERS NET.

Tight lines

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Perception again!

Nothing that I have read has suggested that Davy Holt was anything other than another good charter boat skipper. I'm sure the word 'booking' has been used.

You can't read everything that is posted on every website!

I had never heard of any of the people here until a few months ago.

Having read the postings from, and mentioning, Davy Holt, had I been a good sailor with money and time to spend fishing all over the country, I would have been trying to book a trip with him.

How many more have the same impression, I wonder? and how many calls does he get from would-be customers with the wrong perception, perception, perception!

Jim Roper

http://www.fishandfly.co.uk

[ 04. October 2002, 06:30 AM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

Jim, believe me. Davy Holt is nothing other than a skate conservationist. I`ve had a standing invitation from him for the past two years. Myself and Davey Benson are going up to fish with him next weekend.

He`ll take no money for the trip and will even give you a caravan to sleep in. Too good to be true? No. You get what he says on his website. You just don`t get to keep any of the skate. They all go back.

:P Paul :P

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

spasor:

Jim, believe me. Davy Holt is nothing other than a skate conservationist

Seems I chose the wrong example!

Just profitable enterprizes that we can't mention then?

Did that bottle of Martel turn up?

Jim Roper

http://www.fishandfly.co.uk

[ 04. October 2002, 06:44 AM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

Just to reitterate what Alan says re D.Holt, I myself have been invited up to Lochaline and there was no mention of cash or any other remunerations, I cant wait to go up. But as a wee postscript I am off to Oban tomorrow for the weekend to fish on Ronnies boat once again.

Are'nt you just a wee bit jealous Alan. :D:D

Cheers

Norrie

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/