Is it a Sparrow?

poledark

Not to sure what this is, beak is a bit fine for a sparrow...........

DSCN5554.jpg

"my little brown eyed bird" :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Well it is and it isn't :rolleyes::rolleyes:

When I were a lad they were known as "Hedge Sparrows" or more correctly as Hedge Accentors, because they are not in the sparrow family at all..

These days they are known as Dunnocks

http://www.garden-birds.co.uk/birds/dunnock.htm

BTW it looks like one of this year's birds rather than a full adult

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Cheers Vagabond, I was a bit puzzled as it was in the bushes and not on the ground where I usually see them..

Just after posting I realised it was NOT a sparrow :) but a Hedge sparrow :) and not even one of them :) it was a Dunnock, as you said :)

I have also just had it identified on a bird site as a "Tree Sparrow" :)

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

when i was a kid camping on a farm there was lots of sparrows (rare round here) the farmers wife referred to them as molly (ie)? head sparrows because of their "hats" i know of hedge and house are there others or is it a rural thing?

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Chesters, "Old George" the gypsy who walks around the lake each day, still refers to ALL small birds as "Molly's"

Not sure he would be able to spell it though :)

Den

:D twas on the farm at folkestone that it was said.

strange farm cheap camping but on a very steep slope! in the morning you woke up outside the tent.

had cows in the field and sheep nothing better to crawl out and put your hand in warm poo .

great memories ,sunny bank farm Gibraltar lane hawkinge ,camping at its basics :D

little corrugated tin "sheds" for the chemical toilets after a hot summer day you didnt need a torch to find them at night you followed your nose.

its still there now but i doupt its one and six a night nowadays ,run by kathylene (whoops) the daughter of the old dears that used to run it ,went to market in the back of an A35 with 5 sheep ,exciting stuff for a kid then.

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

"in the morning you woke up outside the tent"

I like it :) :)

This might interest you, We went back to Bromley last week to try and get some more 4 leafed clovers from a spot by Normans Park... Google earth.....51d 23m 17.07 N 0d 01m 58.92d E

Changed a bit since you were there, used to be cornfields. It is now a small area of young trees and wild flowers.

10 30 am on a Sunday morning...150 yards away in the park, people on bikes, jogging,, kicking balls about...and a Roe deer appeared and bolted into the scrub....followed by another!!!!!!!!!!! thank goodness my son saw the second one, no one would have believed me :)

Just imagine if some one said to you..."while searching for a 4 leaf clover, I saw a couple of deer, almost in the middle of Bromley"

Pic of clovers...

Clovers.jpg

You may spot that one of them is a 5 leafed :)

Den

Edited by poledark

as you can see the fashions farmer wise hadent changed much ,my old man ,sister (one then) and little bro ,and everything was corrugated iron as the fashion was then.

the cows were hand milked untill the milk board refused to pick it up as it was only 4 or 5 churns a day ,the calf was named after my sister (hence the photo) great memories of things most people would turn their noses up at today ,the main facility was the bogs were downwind most times :lol:

"in the morning you woke up outside the tent"

I like it :):)

This might interest you, We went back to Bromley last week to try and get some more 4 leafed clovers from a spot by Normans Park... Google earth.....51d 23m 17.07 N 0d 01m 58.92d E

Changed a bit since you were there, used to be cornfields. It is now a small area of young trees and wild flowers.

10 30 am on a Sunday morning...150 yards away in the park, people on bikes, jogging,, kicking balls about...and a Roe deer appeared and bolted into the scrub....followed by another!!!!!!!!!!! thank goodness my son saw the second one, no one would have believed me :)

Just imagine if some one said to you..."while searching for a 4 leaf clover, I saw a couple of deer, almost in the middle of Bromley"

Pic of clovers...

Clovers.jpg

You may spot that one of them is a 5 leafed :)

Den

havent been back for 30 years ,next door at our lasthouse had a lawn full of them but an ugly drunk wife so maybe their luck isnt all its said to be :D never seen a 5 leafed one though

Edited by chesters1