Old split cane fly rod

Skridlov

Hi Anglers' Net (first post here)

I have recently acquired a 9ft (The Lennox) split cane fly rod which formerly belonged to a friend's family. It has some sentimental value for me as I used to use it when visiting a farm they once had in Essex. I'd like to be able to use it again occasionally.

It has two tip sections and is in generally in fine shape but with a slight set to one of the tips as a result of standing rather than being suspended. However on close inspection some of the intermediate whippings have become brittle and are separating. Generally the varnish is undamaged. I occurs to me that re-varnishing the brittle whippings should be sufficient to hold them against further deterioration and unsighly loss which might be hard to repair.

I'd appreciate any advice about this. Is it advisable to re-varnish throughout or just the damaged areas? The varnish now looks evenly semi-matte - what varnish is suitable? Anything else I should attend to when restoring the rod?

Thanks!

Skridlov

Hi Anglers' Net (first post here)

I have recently acquired a 9ft (The Lennox) split cane fly rod which formerly belonged to a friend's family. It has some sentimental value for me as I used to use it when visiting a farm they once had in Essex. I'd like to be able to use it again occasionally.

It has two tip sections and is in generally in fine shape but with a slight set to one of the tips as a result of standing rather than being suspended. However on close inspection some of the intermediate whippings have become brittle and are separating. Generally the varnish is undamaged. I occurs to me that re-varnishing the brittle whippings should be sufficient to hold them against further deterioration and unsighly loss which might be hard to repair.

I'd appreciate any advice about this. Is it advisable to re-varnish throughout or just the damaged areas? The varnish now looks evenly semi-matte - what varnish is suitable? Anything else I should attend to when restoring the rod?

Thanks!

Skridlov

Welcome Mate!

A lot of old split and built cane rods develop a cast/set wich is almost impossible to rectify without separating the built sections steaming them true and then reassembling the componant parts not a job for the light haerted there are still rod builders out there who would do this for you. but I dont think it will be a kitchen table job I think I remember sportsman saying that he has done work on splitcane rods maybe he can offer you advice!

Edited by five bellies

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

but with a slight set to one of the tips as a result of standing rather than being suspended. However on close inspection some of the intermediate whippings have become brittle and are separating. Generally the varnish is undamaged. I occurs to me that re-varnishing the brittle whippings should be sufficient to hold them against further deterioration and unsighly loss which might be hard to repair.

I'd appreciate any advice about this. Is it advisable to re-varnish throughout or just the damaged areas? what varnish is suitable? Anything else I should attend to when restoring the rod?

I refurbish my split canes about once every twenty years (so the rods I have had since the fifties are coming up for their third makeover)

If it were my rod I would strip off all rings and intermediate whippings, and scrape/lightly sand off ALL the old varnish (taking GREAT care not to damage the skin of the cane itself)

Then revarnish, using MARINE quality varnish (word of warning - that is NOT "Yacht" brand varnish sold by DIY oufits and completely useless as a rod varnish - its not even waterproof ) get the marine varnish from a reputable chandlers.

A good tip is to dilute the varnish with white spirit (half and half) and give three THIN coats of that (let each one dry thoroughly and rub down with very fine sandpaper before the next coat) That way the varnish soaks into the cane.

Then a thin coat of neat varnish, let it dry thoroughly and whip on the rings. You can, if you wish, take the opportunity to put the rings on the "set" joint onto the opposite side of the joint. It won't make a great deal of difference either to the "set" or the action though, but some people believe in it!

Then tackle the intermediate whippings (tedious, but enhances the appearance no end)

Finally, give as many THIN coats of varnish over both whippings and rod as you think it needs.

There are plenty of sites/books that show how to make a neat whipping. Practice on a pencil or summat until you can do the job neatly.

Oh, and use proper silk for the whippings - using sewing thread will give very hairy whippings that defy varnishing.

Good luck - and I hope you use that cane when refurbished - there's nothing like playing a trout on a cane rod.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Thanks for the detailed responses.

I was rather hoping that I could revarnish over the existing finish - it's all in very good shape apart from the few brittle intermediate whippings. I'm not at all sure that I'm up to a complete strip and refurbish although I'm fairly useful with tools. The whipping would be the major obstacle.

I suppose my question is; would overvarnishing with marine varnish hold the rod against any further deterioration? The "set" I can live with as it's not at all bad.

Hi, nice to see a cane rod put to use :thumbs:

Have to agree with vagabond here, pasting over the cracks is usually a bad idea.

This would make a great project and the end result will bring you a great deal of satisfaction and enjoyment. I use cane all the time now and build my own rods from new blanks so I haven't done the refurbish bit although I did have to strip and re-ring one rod that I broke the tip off.

Work carefully and remove all of the old finish. Cane is more forgiving of nicks and scratches than modern lightweight carbon tubes.

I would buy a new set of rings, they are not expensive and whipping them on isn't difficult. It just needs patience. Use proper silk for the whippings. Carbon rods are usually whipped with nylon but a cane rod really deserves silk, preferably Pearsalls. Getting the finish right again isn't hard, it just needs patience and attention to detail. You will end up with something to be proud of and that will be a joy to use.

Any probs just PM me

Dave

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/