NTL / now Virgin modems ?

RobStubbs

I've got an 'NTL' modem and it's on it's last legs and I'm just wodering if you can get them from anywhere else - apart from virgin ? They have the aerial / coaxial type connection into the modem and I've not seen alternatives anywhere. I do have an engineer booked for next week but I'm covering all bases so any help appreciated.

Cheers in advance,

Rob.

I've got an 'NTL' modem and it's on it's last legs and I'm just wodering if you can get them from anywhere else - apart from virgin ? They have the aerial / coaxial type connection into the modem and I've not seen alternatives anywhere. I do have an engineer booked for next week but I'm covering all bases so any help appreciated.

Cheers in advance,

Rob.

I doubt it Rob. Most of these cable modems are proprietry systems. Normally if you want to attach a router you have to get the 'cable' version that attaches to the Ethernet port on the modem rather than directly to the Virgin coax.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Rob.

Ebay. Just made sure you buy a proper cable modem/router not what some people seem think is a cable modem in not an adsl modem or a ethernet router.

Tony

Tony

Ebay. Just made sure you buy a proper cable modem/router not what some people seem think is a cable modem in not an adsl modem or a ethernet router.

Tony

Rob does not need to buy anything, he should get a new one free from the Virgin engineer when he comes.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Rob does not need to buy anything, he should get a new one free from the Virgin engineer when he comes.

Usually isps only provide modems (for single access point), not modem routers or wireless modem routers. It'd be worth checking.

Tony

Thanks guys - the damn thing seems to be working fine for now again but I ain't cancelling the engineer. He can check it out and I'll exaggerate the number of times it's failed a little bit.

Just out of interest the woman booking the engineer said I'd be charged 10 quid if I wasn't at home when the engineer called. I asked her how much I get if I'm at home and he doesn't show ? "oh we don't do anything for that" she said. No I know, I've had that before and they did nothing about it then. That said the last couple of times they've been out they did show up as promised.

Rob.

Thanks guys - the damn thing seems to be working fine for now again but I ain't cancelling the engineer. He can check it out and I'll exaggerate the number of times it's failed a little bit

Rob.

I've read reports of certain brands failing over time. Sometimes updating the firmware can give it a few more years.

Tony

i with virgin ex telewest i got mine posted out sorted in 5 mins

so simple too just connect all cables and switch on

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

have you checked its not just a bad Coax patch lead to the splitter?

seems cable guys have weak paws and cant do them coax's very well, often leave the screen iffy or don't even push the connector in fully.

Yep Virgin should give you a free new cable modem anywhos. - as far as I'm aware you don't own it.

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

Hi,

all you never wanted to know and more re bb modems: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/

Essentially only Virgin supplied modems can be attached to their 'cable' system, they won't register the mac address of a non-virgin piece of equipment. Many of the ebay versions won't work on the Virgin system.

However Virgin are in the process of upgrading their bb modems as more areas are brought onto 20Mb connections. Possibly if yours is an older NTL one it can't cope with higher speeds and you should be able to request one, if yours is giving you problems; make sure you get one capable of 20Mb at least - no harm in future proofing!

There's no restrictions now on connecting a router to your bb modem via ethernet, but Virgin don't offer support for this, well until their wireless router test has gone through.

ATM I have a Scientific Atlanta Webstar Cable Modem attached to a Linksys Wireless broadband router [WRT54GS] feeding three desktops and the occasional laptop.

I'm no network guru either, following the instructions carefully and letting XP do its thing seems to have worked... and touch wood it's been working fine for 12 months with just a minor wobble when the 20Mb feed came on line.

Len