Bite Alarm Advice

Elton

Posted on behalf of Rick. Please add all replies to this thread:

I've bought a bite alarm. Do I keep the line slack or tight when on the rest and how should I

have my reel?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Tight so when a fish is playing around with your bait it moves the wheel inside the bite alarm which causes it to makes bleeps so it informs you somthing is feeding. I always use bobbins/swing arms to keep the line tight. And what do you mean by " How should i have my reel " what reel do you have?? if you have a bait runner then flip the bait runner. If you dont have a bait runner. Loosen your spool so you can pull line freely with your little finger. Once your alarm geos off yank your rod while holding the spool so that when you yank it because theres weight behind it, it deosnt just pull line off. Once you have hooked the fish, tighten the spool obv.

mysig333323dj5.jpg

Posted on behalf of Rick. Please add all replies to this thread:

Not too tight or you will get very little indication, allow the line to sink and then use a indicator/bobbin/swinger to ensure the line runs through the alarm properly.

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Have it to tight and it will pull your rod in, a lot depend's on how your fishing eg; close to snags, fish tighter lines or if the fish are finicky feeders, fish a slack line, but like Kestrel says not to tight.

Err no it won't. I fish fairly tight and my mate fishes extremely tight lines. You have a baitrunner on your reels or if not a clutch, slacken either off so that the line easily pulls off under light pressure. Set your reels up properly and you'll have no problems, however tight you fish your lines.

Rob.

Mixed opinions on my lake, some fish tight, some fish slack, it's down to how the fish are behaving and responding to baits. I've been slack lining since joining the lake based on advice received from the membership secretary and from talking to some of the other established members but I know a lot swear by having tight lines all the time. ALWAYS fish a tight line (locked up!!!) when dropping your bait near to snags but in clear water it's down to choice. I suggest you chat to a few other anglers on you lake to get a feel for what works best and then experiment y'self by fishing each rod differently. There are no hard and fast rules and you'll probably find some days slack lines are needed and on other days tight lines will be called for.

Slack lining is. I believe isdesigned to lay your line on the lake bed and therefore avoid spooking passing fish, sometimes it is a benefit to get a few liners from the fish cos it gives you a feel for what they are up to below the surface.

Have a copule of sessions messing around and experimenting a bit, that's half the fun of fishing. It'll give you more pleasure when you catch, knowing you got it right and outwitted Mr (or Mrs) Carp.

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

Err no it won't. I fish fairly tight and my mate fishes extremely tight lines. You have a baitrunner on your reels or if not a clutch, slacken either off so that the line easily pulls off under light pressure. Set your reels up properly and you'll have no problems, however tight you fish your lines.

Rob.

There is no way you rods will end up in the water unless you do not allow the fish to take line when it picks up the bait and runs, unless of course it gets tangled on something like the pod/ reel handle or tip of rod etc

I do believe that if you fish too tight your alarm indication is reduced significantly.

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

I do believe that if you fish too tight your alarm indication is reduced significantly.

Perhaps, but open to debate, the theory is that the fish hooks itself so there's less need of an early indication. On most lakes you get significant undertow, which tightens everything up for you, whether you like it or not.

Rob.

There is no way you rods will end up in the water unless you do not allow the fish to take line when it picks up the bait and runs, unless of course it gets tangled on something like the pod/ reel handle or tip of rod etc

Thats what I meant, if you tighten the baitrunner and clutch up to max or to much, you could loose a rod, thats not the same as fishing tight/tight lines, when the fish can still take line on the baitrunner and/or clutch, it's only if you lock it up you can have a problem.

Thats what I meant, if you tighten the baitrunner and clutch up to max or to much, you could loose a rod, thats not the same as fishing tight/tight lines, when the fish can still take line on the baitrunner and/or clutch, it's only if you lock it up you can have a problem.

Luckily I have only had one rod dragged into the water from banksticks and alarm, that was a tench of around 5lb, it was my own fault as I forgot to put the bait runner on. I was close to the rods and it still went in ! I grabbed my net and managed to net the underside of the reel as it was on its way out into the lake. A lesson learnt.