shock leader

jimba

Hi Jimba ..

You obviously have a lot of questions, and altho' there are people on here that can answer all of them, it will take time !!

Best bit of advice I can give you ..

Get yourself to a beach or harbour where there are people fishing .. and ask !! Most anglers will be more than happy to show you how to go on, and if you come across a "grumpy s*d" just move on !!

Watch how they fish, and what tackle they are using, then try the same yourself. You can learn a great deal just by watching and listening .. but don't annoy the fishermen by "hovering" around them all the time !!

Read as many books and magazines as you can, and visit sites on the net like this one ....

Wiggly :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The Older I get .. The better I was.

hi my first post on here

i alway's use a shockleader usually 60lb i fish with 5oz lead's most o the time and my preference is to go a bit heavier with my leader i tie it on with a 4 turn grinner knot the knot has never failed me during a cast

Guest sandpipper
Stay away from pendulum casting !! You haven't got the experience to deal with it. If you don't kill somebody you will almost certainly blow your reel up !!

Even very experienced beach fishermen sometimes get their casting wrong.

Start with a very simple OFG (Off The Ground) cast until you find your feet. Keep it smooth and simple. Don't try and blast it towards the horizon or thrash it. Keep it nice and slow. It takes a lot of practice to get a cast right. I have been beach fishing and casting for over 30 years .. and I still get it wrong on occasions !!

Try and get some practice in a local park or sports ground. Use a small rubber ball instead of a lead weight .. and no hooks !! Have a good look round before every cast to make sure that nobody is within your firing range. Practice !!!

Good luck !!

And dont forget if you do try your local park DO NOT cast anywhere near over head electricity cables.

Tony

The reel came preloaded with line of about 20 lb.Do I need to use a shock leader?.I've looked at a few web sites for info on getting started and they all recommend using it but my local tackle shop owner said I won't need it.I'm using leads from 90 to 110g and a 12ft beach-caster with fixed spool reel.

It would depend on the rating of the blank. If you over load the blank with the casting weight including the bait you will be snapping line.

You will also attain less distance than a properly balanced outfit. If I'm not chasing fish over 5 kilos then 6 kilo line with a 30lb 15 foot casting leader will get distance with ample grunt and plenty of fun to get a fish in off a beach without too much reefy/rocky stuff. Even then the casting leader serves the purpose of avoiding a bust off via abrasion.

Try bait casting with 20lb mono then 12lb mono and look at the extra distance you attain even without a casting leader.

Obviously other factors like under spooling shortens casts.

Over spooling forms those beautiful loops that make that wicked cracking sound as you send you sinker to Mars or killing someone in the park with a 110g hand grenade.

10 kilo makes you feel safer about catching a fish but it ain't half as much fun as 6 kilo.

Having a rod blank out of balance is like putting a weight 10 fly line on a weight 4 fly rod. You end up fighting it rather than achieving the desired result.

So 10 kilo is fine without a casting leader if you aren't casting hand grenades.

Wash your line with freshwater when you get home and much less snap crack pop with mono.

As for decent braid one tackle shop dealer left it on the roof of his shop in Australia for a year then retested with little change in breaking strain.

Paradise is exactly like where you are right now, only much, much better!

So 10 kilo is fine without a casting leader if you aren't casting hand grenades.

That's easy for you to say. You'll be 15000 miles away when he cracks off :rolleyes:

A lot of UK winter surf fishing is done with 150g (6oz) leads. You CAN cast 6oz with 20lb line, as long as you aren't ambitious and nothing goes wrong, but why take the chance? I usually use a 50lb leader, because I'm no tournament caster and I don't have a ridiculously stiff rod to compress, I wouldn't feel happy not using a shock leader on mainline below 30lb - and even that would only be short lob conger fishing.

I will be trying beach fishing for the first time next week and have just bought a rod and reel.

The reel came preloaded with line of about 20 lb.Do I need to use a shock leader?.I've looked at a few web sites for info on getting started and they all recommend using it but my local tackle shop owner said I won't need it.I'm using leads from 90 to 110g and a 12ft beach-caster with fixed spool reel.

:thumbs:

:fishing1:

To answer the question Simba as I would with anyone asking for an answer, you need a shock leader as much as you need your BIG toes!! Don't believe me? Try getting them chopped off!!!! Same as NOT using a shock leader :D As has been so APTLY explained by these lads!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

never used it except for making traces

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson