Building a carp/coarse fishing lake

henda11

Do you have the land? Where in the country? Are you looking to stock it?

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

i dont have land, wouldnt no where to look for land but it would be in the in or around the newcastle area. i have a quite a nice sum saved up so far from over the past few years, but i know it wouldnt be enough, i just want to see how much i would need at a rough estimate and yes i would be looking to stock it.

PB Mirror Carp: 10lb 7oz

PB Common Carp: 7lb 7oz

i dont have land, wouldnt no where to look for land but it would be in the in or around the newcastle area. i have a quite a nice sum saved up so far from over the past few years, but i know it wouldnt be enough, i just want to see how much i would need at a rough estimate and yes i would be looking to stock it.

Well if you want to do some advance homework, this is as good a place to start as any: http://www.efishbusiness.co.uk/contacts/responsible.asp

An approach to local estate agents in rural areas will sometimes get results, or at least give you a guide price for land.

Local builders may be able to give you an idea for digging out and landscaping - the less spoil you have to move off site the cheaper things will be. You'll need to dig with regard to species you hope to stock of course.

Pretty much everything will depend on the size of 'ole and type of fishing you want to encourage, and if it's a hobby or commercial venture...

Whatever, good luck...

Len

Find some boggy,marshy,wet land mate! no good for farmers to graze annimals on or grow cereal crops,to soft to build on/develop etc so is cheap. Also thwe most natural place for a lake/pond to be!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Try:

http://www.fisheries.co.uk

They have a section "fisheries for sale"

If you want to build your own, find a plot of land that as Budgie said, will hold water, preferably one with a stream running through it (which will keep the water "topped up"), otherwise you will have to excavate, line the entire lake and then fill it! And you have the problem of what to do with excavated soil/earth!

Edited by kleinboet

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

I'd normally budget on 20K for a 4acre hole in the ground plus associated contouring of adjacent land, asumming spoil can be disposed of on site.

Be wary of marshy pasture as it often has wildlife issues, likewise stream couses. Arable land is usually a safe bet for obtaining Planning Permission for fishing lakes as there aren't often any ecological issues.

The two conflicts to balance tend to be finding somewhere that has a water course nearby, but is not flood plain.

There are quite a few other factors to consider including fish escapement if you're near an existing water course and vehicular access if it's a commercial venture.