Waterproof cameras

boomphat

I'm interested in getting a waterproof camera...Olympus vs Pentax seems to be the choice, any opinions anyone please?

I've got the MJU770SW - I know nothing about photography but it copes with my limitations to produce ok pics.

My only comment is that it doesn't have a viewfinder - only a big screen thing & it's sometimes difficult to get what you want in bright sunlight.

Seems to cope with falling in the water & getting splashed which is all I've done so far...would happily try underwater shots if ever the need arises.

Snapper is the pro photographer...he'd probably give you an opinion from the other end of the ability scale!

cheers

Andrew

I'm interested in getting a waterproof camera...Olympus vs Pentax seems to be the choice, any opinions anyone please?

The Pentax Optio W20/30 gets better reviews and arguably has a better lense but the Olympus mju720/725 is very tough being both shock and waterproof to 5m. Neither have viewfinders which is a problem in bright sunlight with the display, think the Pentax is marginly brighter in this respect. The Olympus has a retractable lense cover which is worthwhile addition but still very easy to get a salty mark on the lense while at sea. The battery needs to be removed for charging on the Olympus and the camera does not accept standard SD cards. Can't think of anything else, I have the mju725, very nice pics in daylight.

2006 Launches: 8

2006 Species: 5

2007 Species: 19

2007 Launches: 42

2008 Species: 21

2008 Launches: 51

2009 Species: 24

2009 Launches: 47

2010 Launches 35

2010 Species 25

2011 Launches 23

2011 Species 20

Thanks. I usually use my wife's Sony Cybershot, but rarely on the sea, so it would be great to have a camera that doesn't mind salt water soakings.

Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Flame

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro Flame

Thanks. I usually use my wife's Sony Cybershot, but rarely on the sea, so it would be great to have a camera that doesn't mind salt water soakings.

If you are careful then a conventional camera in lunch box with plenty of dessicant will work. My original set-up was a cheap Vivitar, taken out of the box for photo's, eventually got water in (at night) and let me down. There's always an Aquapac solution but you may have issues shooting through the pac. The Vivitar above looks good value, some real pics would show it's capability.

Edited by overrun

2006 Launches: 8

2006 Species: 5

2007 Species: 19

2007 Launches: 42

2008 Species: 21

2008 Launches: 51

2009 Species: 24

2009 Launches: 47

2010 Launches 35

2010 Species 25

2011 Launches 23

2011 Species 20

i've got the mju770sw as well and i think its a cracking little camera, what attacted me was the crush and shockproof aspects of the camera(crush proof to 100kg static load and shock proof for drops to 1.5m also works down to -10 degrees C) as well as being waterproof to 10m, as its easy to give the things a good knock if you get ditched in the surf zone(something i've been known to do in the past) takes nice photos and works with XD cards (they are slightly more expensive than SD). as Andrew says the screen can be a little difficult to see in bright sunlight but i think most digital cameras without a view finder suffer from this.

I gather the new Canon EOS 1DS MkIII has improved weatherproofing. Warehouse Express are doing it for £6k.

But my Olympus 720SW can take more of a soaking I'm sure.

I had a normal digi compact before which was fine in a pocket on my PFD but got some sand in on the beach once and had to go, hence I got the 720. I have been very pleased with it. The colours are good, it's simple and easy to use and has a big screen. It's tough, it's solid and an xd card is £23 for 2gb at www.7dayshop.com it gives good prints too, although most yakking stuff is shot just for the forums to be honest. Plenty enough shots from a charged battery - ideal for normal days out and kids as snap happy as me. Exposure is good too.

The only criticism I have is one I have for ALL compacts (being used to digital SLR's and film SLR's and bigger) is the lag (delay) after pressing the button. I'm used to it being instant and the delays while it focuses etc annoy me as a moving fish will be blurred by the time the shutter reacts.

Yeah, I like the 720SW, I'd recommend it without hesitation, but add the rider that I haven't compared it to the competition. Does everything I want easily enough.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

• 4 weeks later...