Power Packs

Polly

........ Yep, I know about Huntingdon market Kestrel but i just wanted to see what others might be using and if anyone could recommend a good reliable breed/model. I've been told to pay a bit more if using as a power source when fishing as some of the cheaper versions are ok but more suited to giving y'car battery a quick helping hand/boost on a winters morning. I mostly only do 24 hour sessions but with winter coming will start to take mini TV with me as it's a long time dark (and lonely). Is there a pack that'll give me at least 8 or 9 hours viewing from one charge??

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

I`ll be keeping an eye on this, I`m thinking about getting one to be able to run the pc from the bivvy (be nice to keep the business ticking over while I`m fishing!). My laptop gives two hours max on batteries and thats just rubbish considering how much extra time they take to fire up

wolf.gif

I'm trying to think what brand my friend sells in his shop - I'll post / edit when I next pop in there. They are about 40 - 50 quid I think but apparently very good. Must admit I bought a different model some years back but never really used it. I prefer to lay on the bed and listen to the radio - it just doesn't seem right watching tv whilst fishing (IMHO).

Rob.

If you mean those yellow things with the jump leads on, then I've not long got one from Robert Dyas for 25 quid.

Does the job, running the TV for a week before and when I was at the Wingham social, and it still had about 70% charge left in it.

It hasn't got the normal 3-pin plug socket, on, but has got the cigarette lighter one, which does my mini tv :D

I'm trying to think what brand my friend sells in his shop - I'll post / edit when I next pop in there. They are about 40 - 50 quid I think but apparently very good. Must admit I bought a different model some years back but never really used it. I prefer to lay on the bed and listen to the radio - it just doesn't seem right watching tv whilst fishing (IMHO).

Rob.

Thanks Rob, please let me know.

I kind of have to agree about TV's and fishing, although I've only ever taken a radio with me up til now. However, those mid winter nights are very long and mostly lonel. I bought a cheap (£12.99) B & W telly with a 5" screen so gonna give it a go this winter. Summer nights are fine, I just sit outside n read or watch the water with a glass of red for company but in winter being bivvy bound for so long drives me nuts. also have a digi radio now and that kills batteries very quickly....... it takes 6 x C size and I kill off two lots of rechargeables in a 24 hr session so hopefully power pack will help there. Some power packs I believe, also have lights built in which again will be bonus.

Have around £80 in the kitty so want to get a decent one.

Polly,

I'll be seeing the guys from the fishing shop tomorrow so I'll ask then for the model and price. You're right though on the digital radio - which is why I just use a small 'ordinary' radio for fishing - batteries last 3 or 4 months without much trouble. The other thing I've taken, but not used yet is my little MP3 player. If I really fancy some TV I've got one of those casio pocket TV's. Batteries only last a couple of hours but that's normally enough for whatever I want to watch.

Rob.

........ Yep, I know about Huntingdon market Kestrel but i just wanted to see what others might be using and if anyone could recommend a good reliable breed/model. I've been told to pay a bit more if using as a power source when fishing as some of the cheaper versions are ok but more suited to giving y'car battery a quick helping hand/boost on a winters morning. I mostly only do 24 hour sessions but with winter coming will start to take mini TV with me as it's a long time dark (and lonely). Is there a pack that'll give me at least 8 or 9 hours viewing from one charge??

Its the number of amps of the battery inside that you need to check , the higher the better, normally the higher the heavier the pack ! I got mine from Costco a couple of years ago, it also has an inverter built in, nice and compact, half the size of the normal yellow or red ones. Those small 12v TV use so little power, any one will suffice, its the physical size and weight that you need to consider.

Edited by kestrel

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

....... Found this one, tad expensive but as one of the reviews implies, it's worth paying a bit more to get quality. I'm sure it'll come in handy for other uses anyway and not be just another fishing toy as 'er in doors would call it !!!

http://www.caravantechnology.com/ProductDe...px?productID=35

I realise I can buy cheaper but want something that's 100% realiable. I bought "cheap" with the TFG F8 remote alarm set and that was "True false economy" trust me!!!!

....... Found this one, tad expensive but as one of the reviews implies, it's worth paying a bit more to get quality. I'm sure it'll come in handy for other uses anyway and not be just another fishing toy as 'er in doors would call it !!!

http://www.caravantechnology.com/ProductDe...px?productID=35

I realise I can buy cheaper but want something that's 100% realiable. I bought "cheap" with the TFG F8 remote alarm set and that was "True false economy" trust me!!!!

Thats a few models up from the one I have, same make. The compressor inflator pipe has stopped working properly on mine, It can probably be fixed , I just haven't looked at it yet. Mine in the 175Plus version. The battery does last for a long time. I left my 12v tv on all night and it was still going strong after 14 hours. Shop around , you may find the same model cheaper.

An angler is a man who spends rainy days sitting around on muddy banks doing nothing because his wife won't let him do it at home.

Thats a few models up from the one I have, same make. The compressor inflator pipe has stopped working properly on mine, It can probably be fixed , I just haven't looked at it yet. Mine in the 175Plus version. The battery does last for a long time. I left my 12v tv on all night and it was still going strong after 14 hours. Shop around , you may find the same model cheaper.

You slept for 14hrs :blink::o

you sound like my son!!! LOL

Keith

The more you learn, the more you know.

The more you know, the more you forget.

The more you forget, the less you know.