nathan, me, whoever .

johnny5

Bradford Angler:

quote:

Where there have been infringements in the past I have always won the day
how was it infringed Peter . . physical photocopy or re-photography of solid matter or electronic "cut and paste" . . sorry chaps if this is off topic . . but it interests me . . as I sadly spend a great deal of my working life against the E and I auditors . . .    :(
Todate it has always been solid matter. Mostly straight copy but one library that I use has had to get a bit nasty with unauthorised aquisition and manipulation of one of my images.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this is a cracking thread. I have taken Nathens threads mostly in the context of him being young and enthusiastic. One thread about "soon there will be only carp fishing" did annoy me because it was pointless and my reply reflected this. Overall however he asks questions that may be our beginers or observers are too shy to ask...like can I use my coarse tackle in the sea....

The issue initially raised though does have some merit. Unfortunately web sites appear to have authority including nathans, he is adding content without editorial judgement, and without context, with the answers he has adopted, some of those answers I believe are actually believe are "wrong" i.e. do not match my experience and others will think that about my posts or those of others, but that is inevitable because the diversity of input and experience of a forum such as this is its greatest asset.

But you cannot give one sentence statements on a web site to questions like what is the best flavour boilie or best size. What you can do is is say "if you going on holiday you can use your coarse tackle in the sea...but make sure you rinse it of with fresh water every session."

So Nathen keep asking the questions but my advise is (and this will stand you in good stead for the future in life in general) decide what it is you want to achieve with the question and consider the wording of the question carefully. Then when you have answers consider what you want your visitors to get from it and couch the content accordingly. Overall remember the form of the question shapes the answers received and their value.

The 'there will only be carp fishing' might have come from an editorial in Anglers Mail. I don't believe that it meant that we should only be fishing for carp, rather that we will, one day, all be using 'carp' style methods. Such is the influence of carp angling!

Cheers Peter. You might find me "fly fishing" for carp now again, but not bivvied up for salmon or trout ever .

To the forum,

The forum seemed very hard on Jonney5, his initial comment was not demonstrably wrong and had validity in parts, and was, admittedly on a politically incorrect basis, factually correct. It is true that it was not optimally presented for best benefit for all, including most of all Nathen. This is a free speech (swearing and racism etc excluded) forum I take it.......and did his comments really warrant personal attacks regarding him being boring or similar ?

I also note from the recent post in the sea fishing forum and the response received from an AN member that any advice given in this thread has been totally ignored.

Trouble with the web is that anyone can put up a site with any old crap for content. What is this forums view on what earns an individual the "moral right" to set up and link an advice giving web site on a subject. I am not talking about "in my experience" flavoured sites, but sites giving authoritive statements and advice not linked to personal experience/input.

We are probably less than 10 years away from our first famous angler who has never actually been bankside or wet a hook !! Not an observation about anyone in the AN forums.

Having seen the latest post on the sea angling forum......my advice ....forget web sites and go fishing.

There you go Jonney we can sink together :D

There are people out there who have set themselves up as authorities, with little mandate to do so.

There is a guide out there that, in my opinion, has an grossly over-inflated view of his own ability!! To read his profile one could easily be lead into believing that he knows more about lure fishing than any other angler in the country, even more than Charlie Bettell. Bet Charlie knows who I am on about!!!! If this guide's written work is anything to go by then I would happily contest that suggestion!

I don't doubt that the man in question knows a lot, but I would seriously question where that knowledge has come from. From what I have read I can only guess that much of it was not from the water's edge.

Which takes us right back to your point Mal. Anyone can set up as a purveyor of knowledge and information. Much of it second hand, and much of it theoretical. Books have even been written in that way. Make enough noise about it and people start to seriously believe you. And its the beginners who fall for it, 'cause they don't know better.

But as far as this thread is concerned I don't belive for one minute that Nathan was in anyway out to deceive. Which is more than can be said for some folk out there, like the guide that I'm thinking of. Trouble is, these gods in their own lure boxes start to believe themselves!

I think I am to blame for Nathans "Ask the expert" page on his web site.My sugestion but he misunderstood it.People were saying they wanted to see more about Nathans personal passage through angling.What I sugested was really that he would ask people on AN (for example) how they would reccomend catching a certain fish.He would then go out on the bank and try out the advice he had been given and then report on his site how he had got on.I thought that not only would this help Nathans own fishing but his progress and experience with these various methods/species etc be more interesting for other youngsters to read about on his site.More of a "learning with Nathan" rather than a "Nathan the expert" type of site.Maybe (in fact obviously!) I didnt explain it to Nathan properly.

There are a lot of "experts" out there who using my 35+ years in the game as a yard stick know nothing! Be they write books, make vidios or post on web sites!At least Nathan has several replys/views to base his answers on and always credits the person whose answer he uses.

In fact why am I defending him? he has done nothing wrong for gods sake! his site is just a bit of fun for him,its not in the same catagory as a lot of the other pompous idiots out there at all! Lighten up a bit and let the lad have some fun.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!