newbie questions

norton

hi guys, i've been lurking on the site for a few days now, reading up on all the important stuff for my next toy !! a couple of questions tho' have come to mind. as an ex paddler many years ago i always had the problem of cold water running up my sleeves. if i get a crewsaver drysuit do the neoprene wrist seals stop this happening? i know the paddles have drip rings but mine never worked so i guess they won't nowadays..... also, the crate behind the seat. how do you access it on the water ?? i'm not as flexible as i was so this may be a problem. it would be ok if sitting sidesaddle or once onshore but it might be a long paddle for a sarnie. your thoughts please. by the way, excellent site, full of information and people willing to pass on their knowledge.

andy

another essex boy ( old grumpy really ).

Hi Norton,

Neoprean wristseals should stop any water running up your sleeves just be sure that they are not that tight as to make you feel uncomfortable, Im sure if you are planning to buy your suit from a shop they will advise you. As for the crate and access on the water it is case of being able to twisrt around to get to it or once you have enough confidence to sit side saddle on your Yak you can access that way. It is worth having a play in water that you can stand in with your Yak so you can practice moving around, sitting side saddle, sliding up to the bow to gain access to your front hatch and taking off and putting on the hatch, rocking your Yak so you get to know what point she will finally tip over at and getting back on your Yak once you are in the water. That way you will get to know your own abilities and the Yaks.

Have fun and be safe

ChrisW

Hi Andy, if your any where near Clacton tomorrow, me and Lozz are out (mind you weather looks pants), you'd be welcome to have a" twist and go"on mine , if there's a couple of you, yer mate can get your sarnie's, but if there chicken with hot sauce and I get hold of em , you'd have to fight me for em. :thumbs:

hi guys, i've been lurking on the site for a few days now, reading up on all the important stuff for my next toy !! a couple of questions tho' have come to mind. as an ex paddler many years ago i always had the problem of cold water running up my sleeves. if i get a crewsaver drysuit do the neoprene wrist seals stop this happening? i know the paddles have drip rings but mine never worked so i guess they won't nowadays..... also, the crate behind the seat. how do you access it on the water ?? i'm not as flexible as i was so this may be a problem. it would be ok if sitting sidesaddle or once onshore but it might be a long paddle for a sarnie. your thoughts please. by the way, excellent site, full of information and people willing to pass on their knowledge.

andy

another essex boy ( old grumpy really ).

Hi Andy, welcome aboard :thumbs:

Drip rings are better these days, mine stop the drips!

Again most cags and tops will stop that water getting in no problem at all. As for the crate, I only use mine for chucking my catch in! Yeah I can sit side saddle but it doesn't suit me personally so I don't bother / need to!. The best thing I did was to fit a 6 inch hatch in front of my seat area giving access to the inside of the hull (handy if you want to add fittings later too as you can reach inside to tighten up nuts etc) The hatch is well big enough to fit a sandwhich box and other goodies inside! I bought a collapsable ground bait mixing bowl (abount 16"round) and squeezed it in this hatch. This means that all my goodies that I want to get to (food, scales,first aid kit, phone and camera in waterproof bag etc) are all a single twist of the hatch away! Simple!!.

enjoy yourself mate and be prepared for the infectious nature of this fantastic sport! Having the misses interested is 75% of the battle when it comes to getting fishing passes you jammy so and so ha ha! :clap2:

All the best

SeaDooDavid~~~~ :sun:

Edited by SeaDooDavid

thanks for the input guys, very interesting. shall have to wait till i get my yak to practise...... couldn't make it to clacton today, and by the way the winds blowing i guess you didn't either, thanks for the invite tho codshead. another time perhaps.

andy.

If only i could be plagued by codling every where i go was expecting thornies didnt expect the codling all around 1 1/2 lbs to 2 1/2 lbs kept a couple for tea best fishing ive had all year fish with every bait didnt even get a chance to rig my 2nd rod thanks for the mark h