flat spot on my yak

lozz

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's more likely from strapping it to your roofrack. I have a similar problem at the mo, my Drifter and Prowler hulls are/ have been distorted by strapping, but you can't have them loose either!

Supposedly in warm weather they'll pop back into shape, is that over optimistic?

Ocean Kayak Prowler 13 Flame

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro Flame

Right, I am qualified to comment here!

I collapsed the hull of one of my Prowlers really badly this summer and couldn't get it out just by the sunlight. Again it was from leaving it on the C-Tug in warm weather - one word of advice: DON'T.

I posted about it here: http://anglersafloat.proboards107.com/inde...read=1184881703

I had previoously done minor dents in the same way and these popped out when placed hull uppermost in the sun. This time it wouldn't, even over days of sunlight. Johnsons, who are quite local, offered to have a look but to save them the hassle - and because it was self-inflicted - I tried something else. i had found a link on the net to a site that mentioned using suction cups. Ifigured a glazier to be the person to approach until a mate mentioned car bodyshops. Just so happens I know the owner of one. I took the yak over, he wet it with soapy water, placed the cups on and when we got a good grip on the dent we managed to pull it out. I'd had it on the car roof for an hour or so too to warm up. The next problem was that the hull was slightly deformed - it was stretched and a bit soft, and could be pushed down quite easily by hand. Somewhere i got the advice to heat it up then immediately blast it with cold water but the logistics were not so easy and so I tried just leaving it in the sun all day. Sure enough it tightened up and by the next day all was back to normal.

So there's the answer - sunlight on a warm day and if that doesn't work head over to the bodyshop.

Wetter than an otter's pocket.

Boiling water (carefully! no scalds please) from a kettle will soften a small area which can then be worked on from inside or out depending where you want to go, access etc.

2006 Launches: 8

2006 Species: 5

2007 Species: 19

2007 Launches: 42

2008 Species: 21

2008 Launches: 51

2009 Species: 24

2009 Launches: 47

2010 Launches 35

2010 Species 25

2011 Launches 23

2011 Species 20