Inboard Engines

Elton

As a rule of thumb, what kind of maintenance do inboard engines require? i.e. how frequent and how involved is it?

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Elton, Not sure about that one at all mate..it shouldnt be too much actually, mibbes a bit more than a Van,....Davy is the guy for that one, he has TWO fitted in his boat....BUT, PM me yer addy, and I will send you a copy of the Inboard Engine maintenance manual, and the Diesel Book , I have on CD..:)

The disc is done...there are 4 diesel inboard repair and maintenance books on it....:):)

Edited by Norrie

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Much the same as any diesel really. Oil and filters every 200-250 hours as per manufacturers recommendations. Some people replace the impellor in the sea water pump and fan belts yearly. I do mine as required. Stern gland greaser a turn every trip. A lot less hassle than an outboard and a lot more economical.

How long is a piece of string

reminds me of a conversation i had with a skipper last week He was berating his son (in his absence) because the car he had loaned the skipper had the oil light on, checked the oil nowt on the stick!

Son is in the Navy and has been in the Faulklands for 2 months what ever happend to daily checks !!

Maintenence on inboards should be very similar to vehicle engines. but general by being vehicle engines grafted into boats there is a bit more care to take and observation to do. Water hoses the become hard with age and crack or contaminated with oil and collapse on the suction side of the cooling circuit. Fuel pipes the vibrate and chafe through. Fuel contamination through using drums of fuel and in some cases algal growth in fuel supplies The real answer is little and often always a good look round before you go and again when you get back

Its all about staying alive realy :thumbs:

Inboards are very simple, as already said. Oil and water check before every trip, quick visual on hoses, its worth keeping a clean engine so that oil/fuel leeks are easy to spoted. Yearly is; filers and oil change, belt check, and every couple or three years change the raw water impeller. Thats in general, however, there are exceptions, for instance, in some cases, Volvo have a 50, 100 hour regime if coupled to an out drive leg, I was looking at their maitinance site only the other day. Some of the 50 hours work on the leg requires the boat to be out of the water!!! thats at least twice a year, lift outs are pricy. Keep it simple, stick to shaft drive. :unsure:

SW

Some of the 50 hours work on the leg requires the boat to be out of the water!!! thats at least twice a year, lift outs are pricy. Keep it simple, stick to shaft drive. :unsure:

SW

Went on a 25-27 foot 105 this year. The engine was on the back of the boat coupled with a leg, result, the boat is capable of forty knots. Dear to run, nice to use.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

The engine was on the back of the boat coupled with a leg, result, the boat is capable of forty knots. D

Stern drives are more efficient than shafts, so you get more pushing power out of your engine. The downside is more maintenance, a lot more cost and less reliability. Personally I would rather have an outboard than a stern drive. I have owned all types over the years.

My volvo sterndrive diesel - oil change every 100hrs, fuel filters every year, alternator belt - every 2 years, coolant - 2 years. Sterndrive - oil change every 50hours - I work on this as being 50 hours motoring, but I simply check it every few trips or if I get line round the drive - if it's not emulsified or discoloured then it gets an annual change. I did use it with emulsified oil in it for at least a month a couple of years ago and having been flushed out it's been fine ever since. Anodes - annual change.Propshaft seals - 2 years. Bellows - 2 years with annual inspection. As the boat has to come out for antifouling annually then it's no real hardship to do the servicing.

Yes, a sterndrive is more expensive than an inboard for servicing, but if you do a lot of miles then the reduced cost in fuel due to extra efficiency may be worth it. In reality it boils down to what you want to do with the boat - if all the marks are within 6 miles then an inboard is fine, if you're looking to do 30 miles+ wrecking then an outboard or sterndrive is the way forward for a sensible length of travelling time. Outboards are cheaper and probably just as reliable as diesels these days, but can you carry enough fuel and afford to pay for it?

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

Cheers for the input so far. It's the 'getting the boat out of the water' bit that's worrying me, so I'm glad that it was brought up.

To shed a bit of light, I'm trying to get together the finance for a bigger boat. Something around the 24ft(ish) mark, but really need to do my homework. The idea is to be able to fish further marks, but I won't be able to do this if the fuel bill is crippling.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Cheers for the input so far. It's the 'getting the boat out of the water' bit that's worrying me, so I'm glad that it was brought up.

To shed a bit of light, I'm trying to get together the finance for a bigger boat. Something around the 24ft(ish) mark, but really need to do my homework. The idea is to be able to fish further marks, but I won't be able to do this if the fuel bill is crippling.

Something like that wilson flyer in the for sale section springs to mind.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..