How big is a big chub?

Anderoo

Chub are definitely getting bigger, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if the record went again before the end of the season, and I also wouldn't be surprised if it was from a river. On stretches of certain rivers, if you put the time in, 6s are not uncommon and there's a decent outside chance of a 7 or (if you're really lucky!) even an 8.

What size does a chub become a specimen nowadays?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you're right by saying the size of Chub is on the increase. I've noticed this even on rivers that don't get a daily overdose of Barbel baits.. I guess it's because as a rivers omni-present omnivore the Chub are best placed to adapt to a swing in conditions, i.e global warming?.

There are two rivers I fish in Norfolk where an 8lb Chub is potentially viable, it's a long shot but I think the odd very exceptional fish are there and not always where you'd expect them.

I've also had more big Chub this year, on small 3-4 inch Roach and Chub livebaits intended for Perch. It had happened once in the last decade but about half a dozen times this year..

I would say the benchmark for a specimen Chub is still around 5lb's although, like Perch they look a different fish when they get over a certain weight, I'd say that weight is around 6lb's.

At first I disagreed with your thoughts on the next record Chub coming from a river but having thought about it, I think I concour....

I think you're right by saying the size of Chub is on the increase. I've noticed this even on rivers that don't get a daily overdose of Barbel baits.. I guess it's because as a rivers omni-present omnivore the Chub are best placed to adapt to a swing in conditions, i.e global warming?.

There are two rivers I fish in Norfolk where an 8lb Chub is potentially viable, it's a long shot but I think the odd very exceptional fish are there and not always where you'd expect them.

I've also had more big Chub this year, on small 3-4 inch Roach and Chub livebaits intended for Perch. It had happened once in the last decade but about half a dozen times this year..

I would say the benchmark for a specimen Chub is still around 5lb's although, like Perch they look a different fish when they get over a certain weight, I'd say that weight is around 6lb's.

At first I disagreed with your thoughts on the next record Chub coming from a river but having thought about it, I think I concour....

For what it's worth I still think the 'magic number' for chub is 5.

Another factor in chub getting bigger is the abundance of signal crayfish. Lots of lovely protein!

Interesting to hear your experiences with livebaits - I intend to do some experiments if we get a proper chubby winter and not another washout... :rolleyes:

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I'm not sure exactly what the difference has been this year. I've fished the same swims with very similar tactics as previous years. A couple of them have been canabalistic too..

On one occasion on a clear river, I've seen 3 or 4 Chub of around 2lb's haranging a lip hooked 4inch Roach livebait in much the same manner as Perch would...

As for the Winter, I fear another mild and wet job..

Edited by dant

what do people think are the best conditions for big chub. my local river is full of cray fish and the chub are getting bigger. i want to target a big chub from the river this winter using big worms, what temp, weather, flow is best?

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

i want to target a big chub from the river this winter using big worms, what temp, weather, flow is best?

I'm not sure there is a "best" any of these where chub are concerned. Targeting big chub implies avoiding smaller ones and that isn't always easy or possible. I think the bigger chub do tend to be more solitary, so it might be worth trying swims where you haven't caught chub in numbers previously. If the water is too coloured to spot fish directly, trial and error is your only real option when it comes to location. Big worms aren't necessarily selective, either - it's amazing how little perch seem to get hooked on worms as big as themselves!

I reckon the best conditions for big chub are very cold temperatures, clear water, and high pressure, and fish into darkness. I too fear another wet winter though... I would look for a steady flow with a decent depth of water near some cover or a sheer/undercut bank.

My first choice of bait would be bread. I really want a big chub this winter - last winter was another nightmare of floods :rolleyes:

Reading all the above, has anybody thought of catching a crayfish, and using it as a deadbait for chub?

Yup - Ron Clay had one on crayfish from the Ouse in 1963! I'm sure that Walker used them too.

http://www.fishingmagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/3300/v/1/

That would have been a native white claw, of course, which is now a protected species. No reason why a signal couldn't be used, though.