Can we please cut the tiresome text speak

Peter Waller

FWIW,

some "shorthand" is no problem (IMHO), but wholesale bastardisation of the language is indefensible.

Not only because - some day - the txtrs will be in front of people just like me trying to get a job (and I'm telling you now, failing dismally), but how on earth can you convey the subtlety and underlying meaning of a written statement when you're ignoring half the alphabet, and making words up?

Keith

Blyth

Northumberland

http://www.northeastangler.co.uk

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't get me wrong. I'm no fan of olde English. I was forced to study Chaucer, which would be great if I'd happened to be a medieval monk, but it didn't go down well with a student in the early 70s (me).

Similarly, Shakespeare. I had it forced upon me. Can't read his stuff to this day. But I'm sure it must have appealed to Elizabethans... and pompous generatiosn ever after.

I see Shakespeare as a bit like ballet/opera. Something a lot of social climbers endure because they think they ought to.

I just say this: let's improve the language, not destroy it. Even if future generations find today's stuff as incomprehensible as I find Chaucer/Shakespeare.

Incidentally, Isaac Walton's Complet Fisherman is the most turgid book I've ever tried to read. It's cr*p. Just because it's old doesn't make it special.

Fenboy

fenboy:

Isaac Walton's Complet Fisherman is the most turgid book I've ever tried to read. It's cr*p. Just because it's old doesn't make it special.

So you haven't read Nev Fickling's earlier books then? Because in my opinion they can send a raving insomniac to sleep!!

Peter, I loved Nev's earlier books because I appeared in them. Ego stuff.

But, you know what, I still like reading Nev. WHy? Because he says it like it is and doesn't give a toss whether he upsets or not.Fact is that's what he feels. And although it makes me cringe sometimes, it's sort of refreshing.

That, I think you'll find, is a Norfolk thing. No sensible woman ever asks a Norfolk man: "Does my bum look big in this?"

Fenboy

And a red blooded Norfolk bloke would start to slarver and come out with the classic, 'gawd, look at the ar*e on that!'

He might also reply to the young lady, 'Yes darlin', bluddy boo'efull!'

By the way, I don't mind Nev's tell it like it is policy, I just find his earlier style so blessed lethargic! I like to re-read a good book, I've never had a desire to re-read one of Nevs!

A local school recently sent out a letter to parents written in 'text' language.

Most parents binned the bloody thing.

If you ever want something to get to sleep with, get hold of a recording of Bob Nudd on how won a world title with a bag of small perch, at least it sent me to sleep at an A.T. road show a couple of years ago.

Tight Lines,

Wearyone

No wonder I have been looking at people in a strange way, I thought that LOL was for - lots of love.

I forgive you Keith.

[ 26. August 2004, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: wearyone ]

Tight Lines,

Wearyone