How big do you think this is?

Chris Plumb

This thing seems to have a spotted tail, Atlantic salmon don't.

The Cock's do when they are in full breeding dress (aka Tartan trout) like the one in the picture

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

I've seen the pictures, and various girth measurements bandied about for this fish, ranging from 40 to 50 inches, and it seems they may have been slightly out with their figures.

Times report

I can't see how that fish is anywhere near that figure, judging from the photos, as that would make it even fatter than me! Honestly, does it really look as big as a woman? Get a tape measure, look at the 40 inch mark, then look at the photographs again. Is it REALLY that big? I can't see it, unless they measured it with elastic.....

There's no doubt that it's a cracking fish, and probably the largest one caught since the record fell, but I think they are kidding themselves if they think they've broken the record. After all these years, it would be great to see such a long standing record broken, but I don't think they've done it with this one. I'll be very interested to see the results of the testing that's currently being done.

Janet

The Cock's do when they are in full breeding dress (aka Tartan trout) like the one in the picture

well i hold my hand up I've learnt some thing new to night.

may be i should take more notice of them big coloured cocks. my wife did when she asked what i was looking in the photos for.:lol:

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Just been reading Keith Arthur's page in this weeks AT. Quite what makes the AT think he's worthy of a full page every week is beyond me.

His final paragraph on this salmon reads.

"I would have honestly liked to see the fish killed and preserved forever, if for no other reason than to prove that some conservation measures can work."

Quite how he thinks the conservation of the genes of large salmon will be helped by their death has got me scratching my head.

just how big it was i don't think we will ever know, but i hope i catch its offspring one day.

Just been reading Keith Arthur's page in this weeks AT. Quite what makes the AT think he's worthy of a full page every week is beyond me.

His final paragraph on this salmon reads.

"I would have honestly liked to see the fish killed and preserved forever, if for no other reason than to prove that some conservation measures can work."

Quite how he thinks the conservation of the genes of large salmon will be helped by their death has got me scratching my head.

just how big it was i don't think we will ever know, but i hope i catch its offspring one day.

Another view is these big fish don't do much for the gene pool, some of them produce very little spawn compared to there size.

I have also seen somewhere that the hatcheries prefer fish in the teens as they produce more eggs/milt.

Another view is these big fish don't do much for the gene pool, some of them produce very little spawn compared to there size.

I have also seen somewhere that the hatcheries prefer fish in the teens as they produce more eggs/milt.

All the more reason not to kill the odd one that gets to this size as it would seem to me the large fish genes need all the help they can get.

Edited by lutra