What a fantastic session

Anderoo

thanks for a great read anderoo. the river you describe sounds amazing, i only wish there were more of that calibre around here!

saying that, i have been fishing a small river near to me recently and although the dace are mainly only 2-6 oz, there are some cracking grayling around. Ive had them to 2lb but others have had them over 3. cant wait to return there on wednesday!

theres nothing better than walking a stretch in your wellies and trotting a float through every likely inch of water i dont think,

keep us updated with your reports.

I agree, it's the best way of fishing in my book. Having the perfect autumn day to do it in is a bonus too :)

Likewise, please let us know how you get on at your little river - it sounds great! A 2lb grayling is bigger than any I've ever caught, and a 3 is the stuff of dreams.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anderoo wrote a great trip report here :D

Cracking Dace fishing. There's a stretch of river near me that produces big Dace as well - the best at around 12oz so far, with plenty of 6-8oz fish. They're a much under fished for species IMO, great fighters for their size and really pretty fish. The length I fish for them sounds similar to this - fast streamy stretches interspersed with deeper pools. It holds huge barbel and big chub which are all most people fish for but I've had dace to 12oz, roach at 1lb 8oz, perch to nearly 3lb and gudgeon over 2oz.

Will

Cracking Dace fishing. There's a stretch of river near me that produces big Dace as well - the best at around 12oz so far, with plenty of 6-8oz fish. They're a much under fished for species IMO, great fighters for their size and really pretty fish. The length I fish for them sounds similar to this - fast streamy stretches interspersed with deeper pools. It holds huge barbel and big chub which are all most people fish for but I've had dace to 12oz, roach at 1lb 8oz, perch to nearly 3lb and gudgeon over 2oz.

Will

Sounds great, I think I know the river you mean. Those are all really big fish! I'm hoping to find some roach in 'our' river, and come back in winter with quivertipped flake... I haven't caught a decent roach on purpose for far too long now.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Please don't take this the wrong way, but aren't all dace that size? At least they are in the Welland and I'm ashamed to say that when I was much younger I used to use ones just like that as livebaits.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but aren't all dace that size? At least they are in the Welland and I'm ashamed to say that when I was much younger I used to use ones just like that as livebaits.

Hahahaha maybe where you live Peter! To put it in perspective beofre last weekend I've only ever caught one dace over 2ozs and that was from the same river! It all comes down to location and expectations I guess, I've seen grayling far bigger than I have ever caught being used as livebaits too (though they both did result in 20lb+ pike within minutes of each other!)

One of the best things about this river is that there seem to be no bleak in it! You can't trot alot of the small rivers near me because those little buggers will get to the maggots first everytime! I'd say 8oz dace aren't very common anymore, however, as I say near me there are none that big!

Rich

I don't know what dace fishing is like in other areas of the country, but for me (and I expect most people) 8-10oz dace are big fish - probably the biggest I'll ever catch! Definitely not livebait candidates.

Most dace I come across (where they still exist) don't seem to get much bigger than about 4oz. Still little scrappers though :)

My biggest dace, at a whopping 7oz :unsure: came from a canal! maybe fattened up by the lack of exercise needed compared to a fast river??

Anyway as i said earlier, i had a trotting session on my small local river on wednesday, and although i didnt get the results that richard and anderoo had, it was still enjoyable.

countless small grayling 4-8oz, biggest 12oz

a few nice small dace all around 4oz

a few little brown trout 4-6oz

as i reeled in one small trout a pike of approx 10lb flashed before me leaving a cleanly severed hooklength.

just received my first pair of polarised glasses in the post to the next session should be a treat!