Fishing Transport!

Jeffwill

The only issue I have with the car is the same with any estate - the noise levels.

I'd echo that (no pun intended), except to say that both the Volvos I've had are very much quietr than Peggy's Ford and Hyundai. But then the Volvos are designed as estates rather than being adapted from saloons.

This shows in little touches such as being able to open the tailgate without a key. With a key you often have to put down and then pick up something heavy you were carrying. :angry:

Edit note: A friend has the new version of the Vectra that Alan recommended. Although I haven't driven it I was very impressed with its carrying capacity.

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thinking back over the years, I've had... Citroen BX (great till they go wrong), VW Sharan, couple of Volvo estates, Toyota Land Cruiser, Suzuki Jeep, Land Rover LWB, Range Rover, and now I'm in Mitsubishi Pajero. They all did the fishing work that was asked of them, the only benefit being the 4x4 ability with some of them.

Could I scale down to a hatchback? probably, but I still need the four wheel drive for other parts of my life.

When you stop enjoying it, stop doing it.

Rodge.

Diesel Ford Focus estate. Loads of room, good ground clearance, 50+ mpg, low insurance and tax.

Having said that a couple of river venues I'm currently fishing have very rough and muddy paths down to the river and the Focus will struggle come winter. Because of this my next car will be the Nissan X-Trail which seems to be the most practical, roomy and economical of that class of vehicle.

Dave

An Audi TT works fine for me. Diagonally the boot measures 4 feet, just big enough for a two section 8ft spinning rod.

Small and mean, it's a pike machine....

Gets me to the river quickly too.

MC

With thanks to Hawkwind

Thats why I chose the Aston., loads more room plus a lot more credibility I feel B)

I own a Rover 416, which with the back seats down is just big enough for my rod holdall and fishing gear, plus one mate and his gear at a push. I am thinking of changing vehicles. Has anyone done the research and found the best car saloon / estate for general motoring and also get all the gear in for fishing trips?

i brought myself a car i just use for fishing, as i have a young family and the girlfriend needs our family car (toyota surf, an excellent fishing wagon in its self)

It's a n reg Skoda Felicla estate and has 175000 on the clock. You can completely take the back seats out and fit loads of tackle in it.

Just past its mot, needing just a exhaust rubber £3:76.

Then theres the bonus of it not being nicked or sratched !!!

I've got an old Subaru Forester,permanent 4x4,rock solid,holds as much gear as anyone has.

Love,Ian

I'll see your Scooby and raise you a Landrover - I drive a Defender 110 CSW, huge amount of load carrying capacity (even 12' 2 piece rods are no problem), and, where allowed, I can drive straight to the peg B) I can also carry 6 passengers with room for some gear, 4 + driver with full kit (that's 5 people with all their gear, rod bags have to go on the roof though).

Yes it's slow and fairly thirsty, but I find it very comfortable to drive - very upright driving position suits my back and the visibility really helps. It'll also probably be going long after most other cars would have gone to their graves, runs on biodiesel without any conversion, and is one of the greenest cars around.

The Forester is a pretty good car though - there's a reason so many farmers use them :)

Will

Diesel Ford Focus estate. Loads of room, good ground clearance, 50+ mpg, low insurance and tax.

Having said that a couple of river venues I'm currently fishing have very rough and muddy paths down to the river and the Focus will struggle come winter. Because of this my next car will be the Nissan X-Trail which seems to be the most practical, roomy and economical of that class of vehicle.

Dave

Buy one Dave, you won't go wrong. I have the 2.2diesel version, great for everyday road use, economical for its size, and errm... goes like a train.

Drop the rear seats to give a completely flat floor and you can load up whatever you like, fishing gear, building supplies, I had a whacker plate in mine it never even dropped appreciably on the suspension.

2/3 seat split, ski hatch, its got the lot, including restraint net to keep it all in place.

As for having those rod tips at shoulder / head height protruding between the rear seats, like all my previous cars.... God help you in the event of an accident. A & E are gonna be digging your tip ring out from your eardrum.

Our perception of time as an orderly sequence of regular ticks and tocks has no relevance here in the alternative dimension that is fishing....... C.Yates

Tip for those with small cars, that have the rods resting between the driver and passenger seat and in the way of gear changing and the handbrake.

Put an elastic bungie between the driver and passenger headrests, and rest the long stuff on that, keeping them level and out of the way.

Not being a carpie, I find that I can squeeze into my polo all that I need for a day's fishing for me and a mate, or just me alone when on a longer trip -- Just.

The other altenative is a luggage rack, and a long tube to hold rods (cheaper than a ski container).

Good tips there....I'll try that bungee setup.

I own a Clio which isn't exactly the biggest of cars but can fit myself and a passenger plus gear in okay.....issue has always been changing gear/using the handbrake with rod bags in the way.

I'm not a carpie either so don't find I have that much stuff anyway...when I go lure fishing everything fits easlily plus you don't have to worry about your deadbaits thawing out!

Buy one Dave, you won't go wrong. I have the 2.2diesel version, great for everyday road use, economical for its size, and errm... goes like a train.

Drop the rear seats to give a completely flat floor and you can load up whatever you like, fishing gear, building supplies, I had a whacker plate in mine it never even dropped appreciably on the suspension.

2/3 seat split, ski hatch, its got the lot, including restraint net to keep it all in place.

As for having those rod tips at shoulder / head height protruding between the rear seats, like all my previous cars.... God help you in the event of an accident. A & E are gonna be digging your tip ring out from your eardrum.

Thanks Snotty. I've heard nothing but very good comments about them and my minds pretty much made up on the DCi version.

Cheers,

Dave