Drennan Stick Float Rod - tip section query

Aaron1976

Hello everyone,

I wonder if any of you out there have ever owned or used a Drennan Stick Float rod? I recently acquired a backup to one I currently have but noticed that there are slight differences, which makes me question if Drennan refined or issued different versions over the years. Be interested to know if any of you have a rod similar to mine.

My first Stick Float rod has a spliced in tip (that is a section of about 27" of different material) as opposed to the rest of the IM8-looking carbon.

My second Stick Float does not have a spliced tip, its the same carbon weave from the base of the butt to the tip. The sections of the rod look like they have always been together, as this rod has barely seen any use from new - all appear to be of the same condition (and not a later replacement).

I have noticed that the placement of the eyes throughout both rods are slightly different and the length of the butt section is also of marginally different lengths which makes me think Drennan released variants, but I always assumed the Stick Float rod concept was for spliced in tip sections?

If you have a Drennan Stick Float rod, I'd be interested to hear what version you have (unless one of my rods is a marriage...).

Many thanks,

Aaron

I haven't seen a spliced tip rod for a while now, I think modern compound tapers are good enough that they are not needed. Either that or they've got a lot better at hiding the join!

Like Steve says there are few spliced tip rods around now.

Is your new one like this?

http://www.tacklefanatics.co.uk/product/7816/drennan-im8-super-stick-float-rod.html

They are much more versatile than the old spliced tip version

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Last spliced tip rod I had was a Harrison Match Special canal rod. Lovely, lovely little rod, 11ft6 and feather light, I believe they still make them, but presumably because of the very thin walled blank the splice was horribly fragile. The first tip I had was replaced under warranty, when the second one went the same way I botched it up myself but it was never right again. The tip on my 14' Drennan Matchpro Ultralight is as thin and soft without being spliced and (touch wood) seems somewhat more robust.

I have drennan im8 rods and yours sounds like someones married the bottom section of a stickfloat rod with a waggler rod tip section to me. The waggler has the same weave all the way through to the tip and the stick has an obvious spliced in peice wich has no weave.