Alderney Festival

Toerag

Happy Dude:

so no large 40lb plus female tope were killed and dumped then?

all returned alive?

just wondering

:cool: I'm sure there were some but once the top 5 places are filled they all go back. I believe this is the first time for years that the tope have been there so you can't blame anglers for targeting them. Superb sporting fish, who's not going to fish for them and if the odd few are killed, well it's a shame but not a disaster. The only alternative is to ban them or give everyone certified scales and fish with a stranger, not really practical.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah im afraid me personally i couldnt kill them just to win the compitition, just for them to be used as pot bait or whatever, Sure thing ide fish for them and take full advantage whilst they are feeding and around in the area(youde be mad not to), but just for sport, sod the compitition there would be plenty time for the rest,

Tight Lines

Shaun

ditto shaun,

there is no excuse for killing fish like these, especially for money or prizes, who is the winner in this kind of thing, certainly not angling.

i'm not talking through jealousy, though i am jealous because i don't have fishing like this where i live, i have caught plenty big tope including one of well over 70lb when the scottish record at the time was 66lb, all returned alive. i'm not bothered about my picture in the paper, the reward for me is seeing a beautiful, graceful fish like a tope swimming away strongly none the worse for me catching it

Unbearable, isn't it? The suffering of strangers, the agony of friends. There is a secret song at the center of the world, and its sound is like razors through flesh.

WalkingPinhead.gif

Spur-Hound:

Nah im afraid me personally i couldnt kill them just to win the compitition, just for them to be used as pot bait or whatever, Sure thing ide fish for them and take full advantage whilst they are feeding and around in the area(youde be mad not to), but just for sport, sod the compitition there would be plenty time for the rest,

:cool: If you fish a competition you fish it and hope to win. Anglers kill very few fish these days, unless they are good eating fish. What's the difference between a fish being eaten by yourself or used as pot bait and the crabs being eaten by us. It saves other fish being killed to put in the pots so it evens out. Tope are not in short supply, due mostly to nobody but the French and a few others eating them, if they were delicious then they would probably be extinct by now as they're not exactly hard to catch. As long as anglers are sensible with what they catch, I don't think any one group should criticise another just because they think they shouldn't kill a particular species. Mullet anglers think mullet shouldn't be killed, bass anglers think bass shouldn't be killed etc. but apart from the mullet anglers, most of the others will kill pout, mackeral etc for bait for the species they want to catch, so what right have they got to blame the others? Is one fish more worthy than another? :rolleyes:

[ 28. October 2004, 01:20 AM: Message edited by: Norm B ]

Spur-Hound:

:cool: If you fish a competition you fish it and hope to win. Anglers kill very few fish these days, unless they are good eating fish. What's the difference between a fish being eaten by yourself or used as pot bait and the crabs being eaten by us. It saves other fish being killed to put in the pots so it evens out. Tope are not in short supply, due mostly to nobody but the French and a few others eating them, if they were delicious then they would probably be extinct by now as they're not exactly hard to catch. As long as anglers are sensible with what they catch, I don't think any one group should criticise another just because they think they shouldn't kill a particular species. Mullet anglers think mullet shouldn't be killed, bass anglers think bass shouldn't be killed etc. but apart from the mullet anglers, most of the others will kill pout, mackeral etc for bait for the species they want to catch, so what right have they got to blame the others? Is one fish more worthy than another? :rolleyes:

Norm.

OK, I`ll kill fish for bait or the table.

I won`t kill a fish, just to win a prize or get my pic in the papers. I think that was spurs motive for his posting?

Could either of us kill a 100lb plus skate? No matter how good they tasted.

I agree. If we killed fish, then wasted them by throwing them over the side dead. Something down below, would feed on the carcass and continue that eco-system.

But killing an adult fish, just to (maybe) get your pic in an angling magazine is sad? Especially when the sod throws the fish on his compost heap!

How`s about we start fishing for moles? They like worms. Size 3/0 hook should do nicely, combined with at least an 80lb trace. Moles have very sharp claws!

Norm. If you ain`t going to eat it or use it. Throw it back.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

spasor:

Norm.

I won`t kill a fish, just to win a prize or get my pic in the papers. I think that was spurs motive for his posting?

I agree. If we killed fish, then wasted them by throwing them over the side dead. Something down below, would feed on the carcass and continue that eco-system.

But killing an adult fish, just to (maybe) get your pic in an angling magazine is sad? Especially when the sod throws the fish on his compost heap!

How`s about we start fishing for moles? They like worms. Size 3/0 hook should do nicely, combined with at least an 80lb trace. Moles have very sharp claws!

Norm.  If you ain`t going to eat it or use it. Throw it back.

:cool: Hi mate, I'm not on about me or anyone else, what I'm saying is, who as anglers are we to criticise another angler because they keep a fish that we wouldn't. I've had and still get letters criticising the SAN because we print pictures of dead mullet because "mullet are slow growing, sporting fish" but they don't mention the pictures of dead bass or cod. I then get letters complaining about pictures of dead bass because, "bass are slow growing, sporting fish" but nothing is said about dead congers or plaice. Just because we like a particular species, for wharever reason, we shouldn't comdemn those that see it in another light, i.e. a competition winner, a tasty meal or a picture in the paper.

Let he who has never killed a fish, or bought dead ones for bait criticise but the rest of us keep quiet. The tope that may, or may not have been killed and used as pot bait probably saved, for a short while, wrasse and other fish from being used as pot bait. So as I said, it evened things out. Let's hear it from the wrasse because they may have more wrasse to catch next year, or isn't a wrasse worth saving. And no, I wouldn't kill a big skate, no matter how good it tasted but then, if they were as plentiful as tope, I wouldn't criticise some one that did. :D

Norm B:

Norm B:

Norm.

Norm.  If you ain`t going to eat it or use it. Throw it back.

:cool: Hi mate, I'm not on about me or anyone else, what I'm saying is, who as anglers are we to criticise another angler because they keep a fish that we wouldn't. I've had and still get letters criticising the SAN because we print pictures of dead mullet because "mullet are slow growing, sporting fish" but they don't mention the pictures of dead bass or cod. I then get letters complaining about pictures of dead bass because, "bass are slow growing, sporting fish" but nothing is said about dead congers or plaice. Just because we like a particular species, for wharever reason, we shouldn't comdemn those that see it in another light, i.e. a competition winner, a tasty meal or a picture in the paper.

Let he who has never killed a fish, or bought dead ones for bait, criticise but the rest of us keep quiet. The tope that may, or may not have been killed and used as pot bait probably saved, for a short while anyway, wrasse and other fish from being used as pot bait. So as I said, it evened things out. Let's hear it from the wrasse anglers because they may have more wrasse to catch next year, or isn't a wrasse worth saving. And no, I wouldn't kill a big skate, no matter how good it tasted but then, if they were as plentiful as tope, I wouldn't criticise some one that did. :D

This is the first year that tope have been caught in any numbers, although the odd one has been landed in the past (including a 65lb'er foulhooked a couple of years ago. I guess all the tope went to france as the frenchies use them for something or other, they don't go for potbait.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com