4-wheel drive recommendations?

GlennB

We're looking for a smallish second-hand 4wd for the narrow, very steep and often slippery lanes in these parts.

We do very few long journies and little driving in general. Any recommendations for something smallish, 5-door, 1500cc kind of range if such a thing exists. A friend has a Suzuki Jimny but it's a bit of a rock+roller, and the 2-doors are a real nuisance with occasional passengers with luggage.

Any help appreciated.

Edited by GlennB

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

We're looking for a smallish second-hand 4wd for the narrow, very steep and often slippery lanes in these parts.

We do very few long journies and little driving in general. Any recommendations for something smallish, 5-door, 1500cc kind of range if such a thing exists. A friend has a Suzuki Jimny but it's a bit of a rock+roller, and the 2-doors are a real nuisance with occasional passengers with luggage.

Any help appreciated.

Do you plan to go off road in it at all?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Do you plan to go off road in it at all?

I would ask the same question. My old Subaru Legacy Estate is 4wd, has high and low gear ratios for if it really gets slippy and cost me £500 :)

It's a 2-litre, mind you.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Was just going to say a SUBARU!! Ask Elton how he gets along with his!! UNLESS you want a poser vehicle then avoid like the plague any sort of Land Rover ......(the small ones!) sorry old age and years are catching up!! Can't remember name as I don't see them here!!

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Glenn - you should look at the Subaru Legacy Estate, then. I got mine off Ebay, with only 77k on the clock, for £521 :)

It's a great car for the money, although this is a basic model, takes all the fishing gear you can throw at it and tows, too. Permanent 4wd with high/low selector for tricky situations means that the only thing it hasn't got that say, a conventional 4wd would have, is masses of ground clearance.

If you're not planning to offroad, that shouldn't be a problem for you :)

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

Glenn - you should look at the Subaru Legacy Estate, then. I got mine off Ebay, with only 77k on the clock, for £521 :) ...

Hmmm ... we've ploughed through the Greek "Exchange & Mart" equivalent, through all the dealers and private sales, but can't find one for love or money. Also, our builder guy says a sizeable estate would be tricky in the very narrow & winding village lanes ( my old Nissan Almera has about 6" clearance on both wing mirrors when negotiating the very narrowest bit).

As we do so little driving and rarely take passengers or large loads, we're considering the Fiat Panda 4x4. Let me stress that road holding and modest vehicle size are our main objectives, not space or performance or off-road capabilities.

Might be worth pointing out that Greek 2nd hand prices are outrageously high to Brit eyes. You might as well buy new rather than a 2 or 3-yr old car. And something that would be flogged off for £300 in the UK will fetch 2k here. No real idea why, just not the same 2nd hand value mentality as far as I can see.

Any thoughts?

Edited by GlennB

Bleeding heart liberal pinko, with bacon on top.

Panda 4x4 would be great fun on those roads :)

I have a Vitara two door manual and a Vitara four door automatic, cheap to run and my two are coming on twelve years old and still remain magic little runners. The two door known as my fishing wagon has been badly abused in the past having spent many hours splashing around on the beach :lol: Can't fault them.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

Might be worth pointing out that Greek 2nd hand prices are outrageously high to Brit eyes. You might as well buy new rather than a 2 or 3-yr old car. And something that would be flogged off for £300 in the UK will fetch 2k here. No real idea why, just not the same 2nd hand value mentality as far as I can see.

Any thoughts?

My first thought is go for the panda if poss, my second thought is what side of the road do thet drive on?

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote