Scottish Lawnmowers

Jaffa

Guest challenge
Thanks for the pointer. Enjoyed it and learned a couple of things. Good tV.

Be much more interesting if you actually made a point though :) might be even better if you refrained from personal attacks in other forum areas from the one where the subject is being discussed ;)

Define "sustainable" if you can please?

Hi jaffa,

Have just read through this thread and read your question on “sustainable fisheries” and there definition.

The following is DEFRA, s official explanation of the word “sustainable “and what they mean by “sustainable”

I quote.

“When we say that we are aiming to achieve “sustainable” fisheries, we mean that we intend to manage fisheries to get the best long-term benefits from the resource, while ensuring that activities are carried out in a way that does not breach environmental limits. We want everybody to make decisions and investments that take account of the long-term future of the fisheries resource.

Regards.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The following is DEFRA, s official explanation of the word “sustainable “and what they mean by “sustainable”

I quote.

“When we say that we are aiming to achieve “sustainable” fisheries, we mean that we intend to manage fisheries to get the best long-term benefits from the resource, while ensuring that activities are carried out in a way that does not breach environmental limits. We want everybody to make decisions and investments that take account of the long-term future of the fisheries resource.

Regards.

Have a look at the link Challenge this is what defra and also the minister missed the other week, in particular Shaw in the house of commons spoke about the average size of bass in shore being 40mm or less.

http://www.sacn.org.uk/Opinion/Bigger_Bass_Better_days.html

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Hi jaffa,

Have just read through this thread and read your question on “sustainable fisheries” and there definition.

I quote.

Regards.

Cheers for that Challenge; its not something i'd seen. I've read it and reread it and still have not a clue what it actually means :unsure:

They intend to manage fisheries to get the best long term benefits for who exactly? the government? green ngo's? anglers? .

What the hell are "environmental limits"? have you any idea; if not has anyone?

They want "everybody to have a say in how fisheries are run, regardless of their actual involvement with them?! That will get us better fish stocks?!

This stuff is insane imho, and still does not help me to understand what is meant by "sustainable " and what it actually means.

Chris

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

To me, 'sustainable' means you can put in the same amount of effort every year and still catch the same amount because the breeding stock is producing enough fish to compensate for the amount you take out of the system. If the breeding stock is producing more than you take out then stocks increase, if it produces less then stocks decrease.

In reality a mark or area gets discovered, fished out in 5 years, then another mark is discovered, fished out in 5 years and so on. Catches remain constant(ish) so the statisticians think everything is OK, and the fishermen don't like to talk about it or the statisticians will realise that the original 'population' was fished out, and put quotas on.

Eventually the marks will run out and that'll be the end of it all.

Hi Toerag, thats a definition I used to believe in but there are big problems with it.

I think most people accept, and the plankton surveys back this up, that conditions around the UK are changing (normal change/a result of fishing/ climate, etc etc; take your fav theory and argue loudly-take your pick) which means the fish populations will also change. It gets hard to see how you can assume some nice model works, and like you suggest, there can be all sorts of things going on that make it a nonsense.

I can't see how your definition works.: The idea that you can put the same effort in every year and expect similar results, even if you take fishermen out of the equation as something that changes things, makes no sense.

So, your 'commercially biased' view is ...

none of these arguments hold any water.

Ignore all scientific evidence and observations or at least use it to make excuses.

Carry on as normal; use the improved efficient technology.

Make money while you can.

Devil take the hindmost.

Well, at least climate change is having little effect on the benthic damage done inshore and in deeper water by beamers, eh?

Sure you don't want some pictures?

:angry:

So, your 'commercially biased' view is ...

none of these arguments hold any water.

Ignore all scientific evidence and observations or at least use it to make excuses.

Carry on as normal; use the improved efficient technology.

Make money while you can.

Devil take the hindmost.

Well, at least climate change is having little effect on the benthic damage done inshore and in deeper water by beamers, eh?

Sure you don't want some pictures?

:angry:

My "commercially biased view" ? Your entitled to your opinion HA, and your right in so much that i have had some experience of commercial fisheries and that has helped form my viewpoint. The biased bit could be read two ways though ;) From my viewpoint, it seems to me that most of the posters that have knowledge of commercial fishing are a lot less damning than those that don't.

Your wee list has me totally lost. What are you trying to say, or is it the usual nonsense?

If you want to talk about particular situations ,like damge by beamers in particular areas then a conversation is possible . If , as it seems to me, you merely want to trot out a load of green cliches about the evil of commercial fishing then go ahead and continue doing more for the comercials "cause" than all the RSA reps put together ! (just MO ;) )

Chris

Guest challenge
Cheers for that Challenge; its not something i'd seen. I've read it and reread it and still have not a clue what it actually means :unsure:

They intend to manage fisheries to get the best long term benefits for who exactly? the government? green ngo's? anglers? .

What the hell are "environmental limits"? have you any idea; if not has anyone?

They want "everybody to have a say in how fisheries are run, regardless of their actual involvement with them?! That will get us better fish stocks?!

This stuff is insane imho, and still does not help me to understand what is meant by "sustainable " and what it actually means.

Chris

Hi Jaffa,

Environmental limits?

Try this, again I quote DEFRA.

“There is already much action being taken throughout the fisheries supply chain to reduce the environmental impact of the fisheries sector. This extends from developing new gear that is more selective to reducing the impacts of aquaculture. We need to continue this work, with a particular focus on reducing unwanted catch and there fore discards, but we also need to define environmental limits, make sure we are operating within them, and develop a way of comparing different environmental costs and benefits. we will in general, press for measures to reduce the environmental impact of fisheries to be taken at EU level to avoid unilateral measures that adversely affect the long-term competitiveness of our industry”.

I don’t think that they have exactly define what environmental limits are yet Jaffa, strange thing that, when they are implementing them (whatever they are) in there stature and proposals for delivering “a long term vision for sustainable fisheries” :thumbs:

They (DEFRA) would like to here our views on turning there visions into reality. They say “they look forward to working with us to develop there draft plan into a shared contract to deliver sustainable fisheries” :blink:

Regards

Edited by challenge

Hi Jaffa,

Environmental limits?

Try this, again I quote DEFRA.

“There is already much action being taken throughout the fisheries supply chain to reduce the environmental impact of the fisheries sector. This extends from developing new gear that is more selective to reducing the impacts of aquaculture. We need to continue this work, with a particular focus on reducing unwanted catch and there fore discards, but we also need to define environmental limits, make sure we are operating within them, and develop a way of comparing different environmental costs and benefits. we will in general, press for measures to reduce the environmental impact of fisheries to be taken at EU level to avoid unilateral measures that adversely affect the long-term competitiveness of our industry”.

Interesting battle going on at the mo in Lyme bay, scallop dredging against the pink sea fan, the dredging is winning.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Guest challenge
Interesting battle going on at the mo in Lyme bay, scallop dredging against the pink sea fan, the dredging is winning.

Hi Barry,

How are the scallops doing in this environmental v commercial game of chess? Or are they just the pawns in the game?

regards.

Hi Barry,

How are the scallops doing in this environmental v commercial game of chess? Or are they just the pawns in the game?

regards.

:bigemo_harabe_net-163::bigemo_harabe_net-163::bigemo_harabe_net-163: