Scottish Lawnmowers

Jaffa

Hi Jaffa,Environmental limits?Try this, again I quote DEFRA.“There is already much action being taken throughout the fisheries supply chain to reduce the environmental impact of the fisheries sector. This extends from developing new gear that is more selective to reducing the impacts of aquaculture. We need to continue this work, with a particular focus on reducing unwanted catch and there fore discards, but we also need to define environmental limits, make sure we are operating within them, and develop a way of comparing different environmental costs and benefits. we will in general, press for measures to reduce the environmental impact of fisheries to be taken at EU level to avoid unilateral measures that adversely affect the long-term competitiveness of our industry”.I don’t think that they have exactly define what environmental limits are yet Jaffa, strange thing that, when they are implementing them (whatever they are) in there stature and proposals for delivering “a long term vision for sustainable fisheries” :thumbs: They (DEFRA) would like to here our views on turning there visions into reality. They say “they look forward to working with us to develop there draft plan into a shared contract to deliver sustainable fisheries” :blink: Regards
Hi Jaffa,Environmental limits?Try this, again I quote DEFRA.“There is already much action being taken throughout the fisheries supply chain to reduce the environmental impact of the fisheries sector. This extends from developing new gear that is more selective to reducing the impacts of aquaculture. We need to continue this work, with a particular focus on reducing unwanted catch and there fore discards, but we also need to define environmental limits, make sure we are operating within them, and develop a way of comparing different environmental costs and benefits. we will in general, press for measures to reduce the environmental impact of fisheries to be taken at EU level to avoid unilateral measures that adversely affect the long-term competitiveness of our industry”.I don’t think that they have exactly define what environmental limits are yet Jaffa, strange thing that, when they are implementing them (whatever they are) in there stature and proposals for delivering “a long term vision for sustainable fisheries” :thumbs: They (DEFRA) would like to here our views on turning there visions into reality. They say “they look forward to working with us to develop there draft plan into a shared contract to deliver sustainable fisheries” :blink: Regards

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they cannot define it then how can they legislate on it?

It looks barking mad to me.

Btw anyonw catch the R4 show this week that high-lightned the fact that the EU pay the green groups to lobby them? Friends of the Earth apparently get half a million, and its another half a mill to the other big ones. No commercial org gets that kind of insane funding yet we are programed to believe industry bad, green warrior good. FWIW, from what i've seen its the green industry that is out of control and accountable to no one,

The defence for all this spending of our money? I heard one lobbyist defend it as a means for the EU to "gain expertise on issues" . Among the examples he used was fisheries; ie the Green view is now to be taken as "expertise"?. These groups get paid by the EU to lobby while others (RSA,commercial, love them or hate them as you will) get nothing?

Something well weird going on here and its about time people started being cynical "bastards" and prodding a bit IMHO. But what do i know? just another guy.

I

Chris

Edited by Jaffa

And while im on a bit of rant, perhaps might be worth a few of you digging into the funding of that Prof that is being quoted in all the doom and gloom headlines atm.

Some might suggest hes the Stig, some might draw attention to funding and American foundations ;) As if!

Never know unless you go prod a bit though. I wonder if she paypacket of the journalist doing the prodding we hear about is honest?

Edited by Jaffa

..... and its about time people started being cynical "bastards"

Oh come on Jaffa, there you go again, underestimating your own abilities.

:clap:

Edited by H.A.

Why ...

want to join your SFC?

Do something useful?

I suggest you write to Mr Shaw at Defra.

B)

Scotland does not have SFC's and Defra / Mr Shaw are not the first port of call if you happen to live north of the border.

Fwiw i've done a fair few hours freezing my b***** off helping to enforce fishery regs ;)

Did you serve on a SFC board?

If they cannot define it then how can they legislate on it?

It looks barking mad to me.

Btw anyonw catch the R4 show this week that high-lightned the fact that the EU pay the green groups to lobby them? Friends of the Earth apparently get half a million, and its another half a mill to the other big ones. No commercial org gets that kind of insane funding yet we are programed to believe industry bad, green warrior good. FWIW, from what i've seen its the green industry that is out of control and accountable to no one,

The defence for all this spending of our money? I heard one lobbyist defend it as a means for the EU to "gain expertise on issues" . Among the examples he used was fisheries; ie the Green view is now to be taken as "expertise"?. These groups get paid by the EU to lobby while others (RSA,commercial, love them or hate them as you will) get nothing?

Something well weird going on here and its about time people started being cynical "bastards" and prodding a bit IMHO. But what do i know? just another guy.

I

Chris

Hello Cris

Talking of "cynical bastards" I would like to know if there is a link between the EU Commission, Greenpeace, ICES and the science on north sea thornback, suddenly they are claimed endangered, at a time when commercial and anglers catches are as good as ever they have been. perhaps it was coincidence that the paper was produced just after greenpeace found out that supermarkets were selling thornback ray instead of common skate as they first thought and were lobbing against.

And another thing why did Greenpease only harass the Scottish pair teams on the bass fishery, I read somewhere they raised 8 million pounds in funds to save the dolphins on that crusade, was it also a ploy by the EU to stop the UK from getting a track record in that fishery, it seems to have worked if it was.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Hello Cris

Talking of "cynical bastards" I would like to know if there is a link between the EU Commission, Greenpeace, ICES and the science on north sea thornback, suddenly they are claimed endangered, at a time when commercial and anglers catches are as good as ever they have been. perhaps it was coincidence that the paper was produced just after greenpeace found out that supermarkets were selling thornback ray instead of common skate as they first thought and were lobbing against.

And another thing why did Greenpease only harass the Scottish pair teams on the bass fishery, I read somewhere they raised 8 million pounds in funds to save the dolphins on that crusade, was it also a ploy by the EU to stop the UK from getting a track record in that fishery, it seems to have worked if it was.

Hi Peter,

Would not surprise me one bit. Don't know much about it but would like to understand more. Have you got any links or information on the thornback issue? Im still curious as to why the American barndoor skate is apparently still on the Red list of endangered species when American fisheries scientists say is not even overfished, never mind endangered!

I think they harassed the Scots teams because it was easy to do; the Ocean Star/crest pairing they picked on for the last campaign were only small boats. No media office and tight links with London for them to fight back with. Just wish someone was able to bring a civil prosecution against Greenpeace like that Canadian Salmon farmer had the balls to do against Don Staniford. Guess none of the victims in Europe have the clout of the environmental groups though :( Fwiw Staniford is apparently back in Europe, working for "Pure Salmon" and i've seen his opinion quoted on salmon issues. Yet to see a paper point out the judgement against him though ;)

Have managed to find the name of the program, it was Radio 4's "The Investigation" . Should be on their listen again service, or theres a potted account here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7127182.stm

Its incredible stuff; our taxes paying green groups to influence the EU .

I