Lovely Autumn session

Kappa

Hi Steve,

To be honest, its me that prefers the bright lures. The "best" colour It seems to vary from day to day. I really like bright pink and orange lures, especially the crazy fish vibro worms. That said I rarely use more dull colours so they might be even better ;)

The water was a little more coloured that it has been recently this morning!

Also despite catching on one today, dare I say it (without being expelled from the Lure Anglers Society), I think kopytos are overrated.....

Rich

I've mostly been using the Savage Gear 4play shads - Harris Sportmail was selling them off at 60% off, so I bought all seven packs they had left.

Also picked up some Wake Flexfish 2 inch Green Goblins, which look as if they should do the business, but I've not had a fish on them yet.

Yeah, you did show me the Crappie Thumpers in the boat.

I've got some of those vibro worms, I just haven't been brave enough to use them properly yet - need to catch some fish on them to have the confidence to leave them on.

To be honest, its me that prefers the bright lures. The "best" colour It seems to vary from day to day. I really like bright pink and orange lures, especially the crazy fish vibro worms. That said I rarely use more dull colours so they might be even better ;)

I think I should do a bit of this ultra-light lure fishing.

I will certainly get both bright and dull lures. Experience with wet fly suggests, as a broad starting basis, bright flies on dull days/slightly coloured water and dull flies on bright days/clear water.

I realise this method fishes a bit deeper than flies, so a lower light intensity , but nevertheless, will start with a range of bright/dull lures.

At the other extreme,have in the past had pike on large brown/dull green/drab lures.

It might be that the degree of contrast (vis a vis the water colour and ambient illumination) is the important factor.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Don't forget the crayfish ;)

I had a spell where I went off the kopytos but on my last few sessions (canal and Thames) I've had quite a lot of fish on them, both perch and zander. I think they're popular because they're easy to work, but they are very effective too on the days when the fish want something a little more substantial.

Best colours for perch for me have always been plain yellow and plan white.

Now the temperatures have dropped and the fish may be less willing to chase a lure, I'll be slowly bumping crayfish lures along the bottom. It's worked ok at the canal, but the real test of nerves will be the Thames...!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Had a go on the Thames today. Didn't do so well. I got bitten off by a substantial pike on a two inch chartreuse vibro-worm, and I foul hooked a skimmer and a 3 inch perch. Not worried about the pike, it was a small barbless single, but unusual to be bitten off. I have dropped from 13lb fluoro to 6lb, which probably didn't help.

What size, Andrew?

Don't forget the crayfish ;)

I had a spell where I went off the kopytos but on my last few sessions (canal and Thames) I've had quite a lot of fish on them, both perch and zander. I think they're popular because they're easy to work, but they are very effective too on the days when the fish want something a little more substantial.

Best colours for perch for me have always been plain yellow and plan white.

Now the temperatures have dropped and the fish may be less willing to chase a lure, I'll be slowly bumping crayfish lures along the bottom. It's worked ok at the canal, but the real test of nerves will be the Thames...!

john clarke

2" or 2.5", I've tried smaller (down to 1") and gave caught on them, but the slightly bigger ones seem better. With the really small ones, the tail action doesn't seem so effective.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music