live bait

***Simon***

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 inch pouting hooked once through the nose with a fine wire hook size 2/0, on a 6 foot trace of flourocarbon on a running ledger. Alternatively a joey mackeral, but don't touch the joey before you use it or it will die in your bait well. Or sandeel, of course, but that's obvious. Drift the bait near the bottom around pilings, piers, sandbanks or on steep drop-offs on the edge of channels. Some people like to damage the fish a bit to make it bleed and struggle but personally I think thats a bit too cruel.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

n4lly:

Rather than have an emotional rant at the sight of a few smoothound in a box :confused:

Or a joey with its tail cut off :confused: :(

Can you explain a bit more? (confused - I must be missing something)

***Simon***:

n4lly dnt hav a clue what ur first sentence was about but anyway, why cut the joeys tail off?

To make it wriggle and bleed and not swim too well which makes Mr Bass think he has an easy meal.

No need to cut the tail of the hook stuck through its fizzog will make it bleed and swim erratically

2/0 hook is fine small pout,poor cod,and pin whiting will also work.

Tight lines

Fivebellies

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!

Might I suggest a circle hook would be good in this case or a kahle which has most of the circle advantages plus a slightly better shape for hooking your bait.

Size the hook to match the bait you are using. 2/0 will certainly hold the bass if you have a decent brand of hook but if the bait hides the hook, you may well need to go up in size.

Posted Image

And the Gamakatsu kahle pattern - called a Shiner hook since that is a term for a popular US live bait.

Posted Image

The key with either of these hooks is to simply wind down to a strike. They are pretty much self-hooking if you don't strike. Strike and you will likely just pull them out with no fish.

[ 19. July 2005, 03:24 AM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President