level winds

big adam

i have just got a shakespere solara reel and have just found out that it doesnt have a level wind so does this mean that it is useles and can you get a levelwind to go onto it. dont no whether the gear ratio is bad or not for long casting its a 4:8:1

:clap2: The Solara is a good reel but discontinued a couple of years ago. You don't need a levelwind, although some people like them. You can't get a levelwind as an 'add on', although you can take them off if it has one. 4:8 to 1 is a bit low but it does give more power when winding in. If you got it cheap or free you can't go wrong as it will do the job. :clap2:

i have just got a shakespere solara reel and have just found out that it doesnt have a level wind so does this mean that it is useles and can you get a levelwind to go onto it. dont no whether the gear ratio is bad or not for long casting its a 4:8:1

Will it give the 200 yard cast and also i i could get one with a level wind would it be better. If the gear ratio was say 5:2:1 would that be better and also what is a counterbalanced handle

i wish i could master the damn things with or without level winds ,one click less than full brakes on my seastreak and its birds nest time and thats the posh carbon seastreak not the red one

any spare daiwa 7ht mags going free to try again?

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

i wish i could master the damn things with or without level winds ,one click less than full brakes on my seastreak and its birds nest time and thats the posh carbon seastreak not the red one

any spare daiwa 7ht mags going free to try again?

G'day mate; the secret is called "the educated thumb"

http://www.fishsa.com/cstngrv2.php

Also, without level wind, the thumb is used to guide the line across the drum as you wind in.

ocker-anim.gifROO.gif

Cheers, Bobj.

my thumb is as thick as my head !together we have never got on when it comes to multiplyers

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I never use a level wind on beachcasting, lose to much distance when needed, I don't know that reel but if it is a cheapy it will be a cheapy distance as well :lol:

I use the Abu 6500 ct mags, easy to cast, great for distance when required.

200yds with rigs and bait is a bit much to expect, you would need a top quality rod and reel and be an excellent caster.

I have the kit but lack the physical ability so 110 to 120 maybe and only maybe 150 with a compact single hook rig and believe me that is a good cast.

As an old fart with a love of surf beaches I have fished with a lot of chaps over the years who think they can cast well over a hundred yards when standing on a flat beach, but not so many that can.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

I bought two solaras in alderney a couple of years ago with level winds. I think they were £28 each. We (me and SWMBO) use them for drift fishing for bass, turbot, pollack etc and they have been great for that. I have never tried any casting with them other than a short flick out from the boat. Realistically I would imagine they would be ok casters for about upto 80 yards or so. They are not in the abu 6000/7000 class of real in terms of performance or quality by a long shot.

Backing up what Ken has said most anglers casting distances are half of what they think they are. A hundred yard cast under normal angling conditions is a very good cast that not many can achieve.

Don't know the reel, but for distance reels most people use either ABU 6500 or Penn Mags ....... level winds cut down distance, so learn to lay the line with your thumb.... gear ratio's dont affect the distance cast, only the speed of retrieve........ i doubt if your reel will cast 200 yds.

Ken's spot on with what he says.... few people cast as far as they think they do on the beach... the distance you can cast on a level grass field in light clothing, is very dfferent from what you can do on a steep shingle beach wrapped up in your gear, with the wind blowing ..... especially at night !

Most people only fish at 80- 120 yds with bait...some make it out to 130- 150yds, very few can really cast much further , and those that do have put in alot of hours practising and have the right kit.

Lessons from an instructor will help or failing that practise with a friend who can cast... try to cast smoothly and get a good technique and you will get a good fishing distance..... eventually, just don't expect it to be 200yds.

An instructor i knew, allways had a laugh at the distances people claimed they could cast, even over grass... he could cast over 200 yds but his fishing cast was usually much less, more like 130 yds, but he could do the same cast time after time, day or night with little effort.

Dave ;)