night fishing for pike

Guest stubbo

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not big fan of fishiing for pike through the night too many hook points and teeth for things to go wrong

It's not something I'd recommend if you're not very experienced at handling pike safely. Other than that you just need to be very organised, know exactly where everything is, have a decent head torch and you need to be on top of your rods, not struggling out of a bivvy 20 yards away and you need to consider how you're going to photograph them, because sacking them for any period of time should be avoided, particularly if the margins are shallow and weedy.

because sacking them for any period of time should be avoided, particularly if the margins are shallow and weedy.

I wouldnt reccomend sacking pike full stop.I've seen several drown in carp sacks.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Well I suppose someone has to be "the killjoy"...why not me?

No problem with fishing into darkness for Pike, but no sleeping please. By the time you hear the alarm and get out of your bed, the pike will very often have swallowed the bait and hooks.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I wouldnt reccomend sacking pike full stop.I've seen several drown in carp sacks.

Neither would I

I quick refresh in the landing net before taking a picture is all that's needed

I've never been piking at night but TBH but a lot of the stillwaters I fish ban night fishing anyway....never really been inclined to give it a go.

Well I suppose someone has to be "the killjoy"...why not me?

No problem with fishing into darkness for Pike, but no sleeping please. By the time you hear the alarm and get out of your bed, the pike will very often have swallowed the bait and hooks.

Den

]

put considerably better than i did. being half asleep messing around with so many sharp objects is bad for the fish and yourself

Adding on to my initial post saying that I didnt rate night fishing.There is one time when I do fish at night for them and thats in the summer.I very rarely fish for pike in the summer but used to go over to see a mate who worked on a fishery.This would inevitably be in the late evening and we would go out trolling lives and lure fishing from the boat.Fishing wasnt that great but compared to trying to tempt a fish during the blazing heat it was!

The mention of lure fishing aty night reminded me of this as we often used surface lures at night.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

thanks for your reply having problems with pc just got message . Just thought maybe fishing till midnight then calling it a draw or throwing a carp or eel rod out.Read somewhere a guy fishing a canal with good results..... stubbo

I used to night fish the thames a lot for eels a few years ago with a two rod set up[ one rod lob worms one rod half a roach both with wire traces] and i never caught a pike at night.

Dawn and dusk would often see pike but never in the proper hours of dark, This is not to say that its not worth a go but i would sit right next to the rods both on buzzers and hit the slightest twitch as eels swallow baits even quicker than pike or perch.

In short as has already been mentioned if your not prepared to stay awake then fish for something else at night , By the time you have crawled out of a bivvy half asleep to a run the chances are the damage has already been done .

Good luck if you give it a go steve.

Interesting, I spent a night Eeling on a Canal with another forum member once and couldn't stop catching Pike on fish baits throughout the night. Nothing big mind but the runs didn't stop all night.