night fishing for pike

Guest stubbo

hi new member here its that stubbo agian .Has any members done any night fishing for pike meaning all night session is it worth the effort.We have got a local water which is very clear i wunder if they would switch on after dark .

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi new member here its that stubbo agian .Has any members done any night fishing for pike meaning all night session is it worth the effort.We have got a local water which is very clear i wunder if they would switch on after dark .

Hi Stubbo, in my opinion it's not worth either the effort or the risk. Feel free to give it a go if you're prepared to stay up all night by your rods, but pike fishing and sleeping just don't mix.

Before resorting to nights (which as I understand aren't particularly good for piking anyway) I'd get there an hour before dawn and try then.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I think Anderoo's right. I've sat up all night, only once or twice and found all my runs where during daylight hours and dusk and then at dawn. I wouldn't bother m8.

Ive never found night fishing for pike to be worthwhile.I do however know some one who has done well at night.The answer is to obviously try it.Does you water fish better at Dawn and Dusk with it being clear?But as Anderoo rightly says be aware that "carp tactics" ie buzzers,bivvies,bedchairs and kipping just dont cut the ice when piking.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I have never had any success fishing for Pike after dark never mind throughout the night, though some of the self proclaimed experts recommend it. There for me any way is a period just after dusk when the pike switch off and that is it until dawn.

Tony

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

on my local river which is full of jacks, the only way i've been able to tempt the double figure fish is a largish deadbait fished HARD up against the near bank a few hours into darkness. i fish with one rod and stay awake. i don't think that bivvies, bedchairs and a good night's sleep are the way forward when pike fishing for obvious reasons.

Jack Pike Hunter Extraordinaire

I used to fish a water that was full of jacks which gave good sport during daylight hours (15 runs a day)

i never caught a double untill i started staying after dark. dusk was rubbish but between 8pm and 10pm was very good for the bigger pike. first time i tried it i had a 14lb and 16lb. the following week i had the same 16lb a 17lb and a 19lb. I have never hooked a jack after dark.

one thing i would say is that you have to be 100% confident in your ability to safely unhook your pike. I used traces with just one trebble hook or a large single because i found that the pike would swallow baits without moving off. I also found it better to fish the margings close to deeper water.

I used to fish a water that was full of jacks which gave good sport during daylight hours (15 runs a day)

i never caught a double untill i started staying after dark. dusk was rubbish but between 8pm and 10pm was very good for the bigger pike. first time i tried it i had a 14lb and 16lb. the following week i had the same 16lb a 17lb and a 19lb. I have never hooked a jack after dark.

one thing i would say is that you have to be 100% confident in your ability to safely unhook your pike. I used traces with just one trebble hook or a large single because i found that the pike would swallow baits without moving off. I also found it better to fish the margings close to deeper water.

Can I ask what you used for bite indication?

I'd be tempted to stay for a couple of hours but all my daylight fishing is lure or float fishing. I've not got into using buzzers etc.

I saw Mick Brown on TV make an improvised night float by making two small holes in the tip of a big pike float and glueing in a couple or isotopes. It looked odd but very effective at the same time.

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

Hi Stubbo, in my opinion it's not worth either the effort or the risk. Feel free to give it a go if you're prepared to stay up all night by your rods, but pike fishing and sleeping just don't mix.

Before resorting to nights (which as I understand aren't particularly good for piking anyway) I'd get there an hour before dawn and try then.

thanks for your reply having problems with pc just got message . Just thought maybe fishing till midnight then calling it a draw or throwing a carp or eel rod out.Read somewhere a guy fishing a canal with good results..... stubbo

I used to night fish the thames a lot for eels a few years ago with a two rod set up[ one rod lob worms one rod half a roach both with wire traces] and i never caught a pike at night.

Dawn and dusk would often see pike but never in the proper hours of dark, This is not to say that its not worth a go but i would sit right next to the rods both on buzzers and hit the slightest twitch as eels swallow baits even quicker than pike or perch.

In short as has already been mentioned if your not prepared to stay awake then fish for something else at night , By the time you have crawled out of a bivvy half asleep to a run the chances are the damage has already been done .

Good luck if you give it a go steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream: