Am I Being Cruel??

Norrie

Hiya, This I suppose applies to all the fishing forums,not just the Sea Angling one.

Yesterday afternoon I had a delivery to a restuarant in Creiff in Scotland, after the delivery I was having a chat with one of the waiters and he asked if i was fishing this weekend, I told him hopefully yes, then this middle aged woman started berating me about how cruel I was and how would I like a hook stuck in my mouth, and that I was not a nice person. I told her she was a nosey busybody listening into other folks conversations,but couldn't really say a lot more as it was on my customers premises. So, anyway the waiter asked her if she and her rather overweight son of about 14 enjoyed her Burgers and chips.She soon shut her mouth.This is the first time in my life this has happened to me, especially in an area that depends on Anglers and Angling. Bleeding dogooders really get up my nose. :mad: There, I got that off my chest.I feel a lot better now. :D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

That's the problem Norrie, whenever the 'Angling is Cruel' debate gets stirred, whatever the evidence or reasonablness of the arguments, the mud sticks.

Most people don't think deeply or sensibly about the issues, they swallow an argument, especially if it means that they can take an 'holier than thou' position.

The media love the contoversy, it makes them feel important to society, and sells more papers.

We can either sit back, and hope that it just goes away, or respond intelligently (publicly debating the issue just gets the 'Fishing is Cruel' controversy a greater airing - we need to carefully weigh the liklihood that public defence of our position may do more harm than good).

The National Angling Alliance are focussed on the debate, and making the political moves in the right arenas to ensure that the latest 'storm in a publicity teacup' does no lasting harm.

(It was encouraging to see Martin Salter respond so quickly, on behalf of the government, emphasising that their approach to angling remains unchanged in light of the latest 'findings').

What we as individual anglers must do constantly is to keep publicising all the good points about angling, and keep our house in order, so that the greater part of the public remain on our side.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

A similar thing happened to me a few years ago while fishing the local canal.

Sat there minding my own business out in the country a long way from any civilisation when a "gentleman"..(lol)...walking two springer spanials passed me and commented "fishing...ha a barbaric sport".

When I replied Pardon, he went on to state the pain and suffering I was putting the fish through by snatching a hook through there lip.

After a hot and volatile reply from me :mad: he stepped back.

I then asked him if it caused pain and suffering to the dogs by cutting there tails off, and was this a barbaric act :P

The reply came "they are working dogs and its for there own good" :confused:

After I threatened to eff im in :rolleyes:

he made haste down the tow path at a very fast rate never to be seen again,stopping every so far to shout abuse back at me.

Is'nt that just typical of the hypocritical b'stards.

Hello Norrie.

If you think you got a slagging off. It`s nothing like the one being given to the authors of this latest report. And not by anglers, but by members of their own scientific community!!

The authors then whined that the report wasn`t meant as an attack on angling, but on fish farming.

I can feel myself almost warming to the guys.

They pointed out that the pain refered to was the fishes reaction to chemicals not hooks!

Guess that point will be lost on Peta. But at least the reports authors have put that point in print.

Oh. They also added that, they thought anglers generally had the welfare of fish in mind.

Now doesn`t that make you feel better?

No. I thought not. Too many people never look further than the headlines they wish to see.

:rolleyes: Paul. :rolleyes:

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Hi ST, What was the Countryfile prog on the telly like, I get STV up here, but, my lovely old mum in Nottingham has taped it for me.

Cheers

Norrie

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Norrie:

Hi ST, What was the Countryfile prog on the telly like, I get STV up here, but, my lovely old mum in Nottingham has taped it for me.

Cheers

Norrie

I have jsut started a thread on the subject on the coarse forum.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/