How to catch cod from the shore ?

carphead07

hi all sea anglers

i have been sea fishing for about 2 years now but i never go during the winter, but now id like to

start sea fishing during the winter and catch some decient cod.

no firstly i dont no mutch about cod, all i realy no is that some of the best baits for them is, squid,lug worm. But i dont which method(s) will work to catch a cod

any help ???

thanks mike

mike finlay the carpinator

Hi 'Carpy'

Yep, well how to catch cod from the shore is a bit like 'how long is a piece of string'.

Sea anglers around the Uk use a variety of tackle and baits at different venues.

Since I'm at Hayling, I'll assume you want to get amongst this year's brood of Solent codling which are in the 1 1/2 - 2 1/2lbs bracket with a sprinkling of larger fish.

Your local venues ... Pagham, Selsey, Hayling, Eastney, Gilkicker and Browndown have all produced. You'll find large baits of lug (preferably) or rag/squid will produce these codling at night on high tides around 8 - midnight. This week has some good tides.

These codling have been numerous enough to show in rough and calm conditions; but after a good blow is your best bet.

Put two size 2/0 hooks out loaded with lug and tipped with squid or limpet. Scale that down to 1/0s or 1s if you want to catch whiting and dabs as well.

I'm talking BIG baits for codling!

loadsalug.jpg

Mark's piccy shows how big these baits need to be to get even small codling to 'home' in!

codling270907mark1.jpg

Your average codling this year will be something like this ...

cods89.jpg

I'm sorry .... I meant to say like this .....

codlingada2009.jpg

PM me for more info ....

:spiteful:

Keep your ears open for local reports (ignore the angling comics' rehashed rubbish). Cod tend to be caught from very localised marks. Probably because they are fat lazy creatures that just seem to drift in and out with the tide. I think this means the currents tend to take them inland at the same spots. Fish two hundred yards from the right place and you might have no chance.

As pointed out above, you need big fresh baits to make them think it's worth swimming against the flow to find what they can smell!

Talking of smell, does anybody soak their bait in aniseed oil?

I have just got hold of 500ml that is meant for getting racing pigeons to trap quickly on return to their loft.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net