Wind Turbines the TRUTH

I visited the Centre for Alternative Technology last year http://www.cat.org.uk That place is run by particularly extreme greenies and I can tell you that even they do not advocate small wind turbines on people's houses. The efficiency of a wind turbine varies with the square of its blade length and the CUBE of the wind speed. To be efficient they need to be as big as possible in an area of undisturbed wind, such as on top of a hill or out at sea. The view of the CAT centre staff was that a small turbine on a town house roof is a waste of money. Their advice is to spend the money on insulation material instead.

That is a good point, turbines under a certain size are just a gimic,

but

The Proven 2.5 produces 2.5kW of electricity and can power the equivalent to a standard 3 bedroom home, excluding heating; any excess energy production can be stored or exported to the grid, depending on local regulations. The overall physical scale is similar to that of a telegraph pole.

or

The Proven 6 produces 6kW of power and is suited to a wide range of applications. This turbine model will supply the equivalent to electricity to a standard 4-6 bedroom house, excluding heating again with the potential to store or sell excess production to the grid, should local regulations apply.

or

Fully available from early 2008, the Proven 15 is the largest of our available models and is currently available in an emulation version. The Proven 15 could supply the equivalent to six 3 bedroom houses, again with the potential to store or sell excess production to the grid, dependent upon local regulations.

The Proven 15 is also ideal for commercial applications such as agriculture, telecoms applications, small industrial units and mini wind farms

So there are viable small scale options out there and providing you do your home work on location they can provide a good source of power.

Couple these with solar heating which despite Chesters comments on no sun won't work can produce 70% of the average homes hot water requirements.

Hi Chester,

I am wondering where you found this mis-information about oil reserves, I worked in southern Iran thirty plus years ago and I can tell you peak oil was a topic of conversation then, the only difference between now and then was total consumption envisaged.

Then we were looking towards 2080 or 3000 but with third world oil requirements demands since then these dates have come down to around 2010 to 2015.

The oil industry has moved well beyond those Texas films mate showing gushers and everyone rushing around getting black and sticky :lol:

Hell we even use satellite technology to trace viable oil sources no expense spared now days mate. :)

Such is the demand now days that crude can change price and change hands several times whilst on the high seas, all this talk about over production is total cr*p, I should know that one as I have worked on the largest strategic oil reserves in the world and all put together would not see us through one days world wide use. OK after a war for military use but other than that forget it. That is why the price is so volatile, slightest hiccup on production and panic sets in.

World powers know the situation and they are now desperate to avoid total panic which would lead to world war three and the end of civilisation as we know it.

You can bet your bottom dollar that even us old farts will see alternative energy options being exploited over the next few years the likes of which have never been seen before.

Edited by Ken Davison South Wales

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

where didthe "proven" bits come from? the cat site only shows boat versions?

i didnt say there was an over production of oil but diesel ,bio diesel not only destroys the country side it adds to the overall diesel production and stockpile but its petrol thats needed.

forests are being destroyed to produce bio diesel and the market is flooded ,being green sure harms things :o

"Yet Alberta's oil sands are destined to be the main supply of foreign oil to the United States for at least the next century. The sands hold proven reserves of 175 billion barrels, second only to Saudi Arabia's 262 billion, and far more than the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge's estimated 10 billion."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...NG46CMUPL60.DTL

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

where didthe "proven" bits come from? the cat site only shows boat versions?

i didnt say there was an over production of oil but diesel ,bio diesel not only destroys the country side it adds to the overall diesel production and stockpile but its petrol thats needed

I think the reason the environmentalists approve of bio-diesel is because it is supposedly "carbon neutral". The plants take CO2 out of the atmosphere to form the oil and then when it is burnt it is released again.

You could of course apply the same argument to fossil fuels, all their carbon came from atmospheric CO2 at some time. If it all goes back to that form the world won't end. We might though!

I suppose what we should really be doing is growing millions of tons of plant material and burying it.

or investing in huge machines that suck it out the atmosphere and make nice light carbon blocks for building stuff or huge pencils so we can make log cabins and grow beards and wear furs DOH ok furs made of carbon fiber

Ken did you see how big the proven 15is

Rotor Diameter: - 9m

Hub Height: - 15m

cant see your neighbours welcoming that if ofcourse you had.......* Based on an ideal site and average wind speed of 5m/s

the interesting part is high lighted ;)

lab conditions are rarely found in nature ,i can see them gleefully rubbing their hands in the wind tunnel in a constant 5mtrs a sec wind now ,snake oil!!!!

unfortunately under 2.5 mtrs an sec your sitting in the dark :(

how much is 5mts a sec? :wacko:

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

oh yes i remember them didnt a king live in one ,green king henry or summat :D

or investing in huge machines that suck it out the atmosphere and make nice light carbon blocks for building stuff or huge pencils so we can make log cabins and grow beards and wear furs DOH ok furs made of carbon fiber

Ken did you see how big the proven 15is

Rotor Diameter: - 9m

Hub Height: - 15m

cant see your neighbours welcoming that if ofcourse you had.......* Based on an ideal site and average wind speed of 5m/s

the interesting part is high lighted ;)

lab conditions are rarely found in nature ,i can see them gleefully rubbing their hands in the wind tunnel in a constant 5mtrs a sec wind now ,snake oil!!!!

unfortunately under 2.5 mtrs an sec your sitting in the dark :(

how much is 5mts a sec? :wacko:

I'm going for the 6kw which bottom will produce 80% of my requirements, if the information on my location gathered to date from independent sources is correct then I will achieve break even on requirements and retrieve capital within my remaining years approx. ten :lol:

The big boys are aimed at larger power requirements than mine, plus small wind farms of which I am sure there will bee lots of.

I live at the top of a valley which heads up from Bury Port area and the prevailing wind is funneled up this valley, plus another little bit of good fortune is the valley does a sharp 90 degree turn almost on my doorstep and heads north, good fortune because according to current figures between both compass points I receive 95% of my wind so to speak :D:lol:

Will admit I am lucky on location but there are thousands of similar situations in the UK, I know they won't supply all the power required but with all the other measures with conservation of energy on the top of the list we could achieve an independent renewable power situation, without you building a nuke station outside my back door. :D

It is freezing outside with a stiff breeze, I am sat indoors in shorts and "T" shirt without any heating and feeling very comfortable, it can be done, just need to try harder.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

keep us informed Ken a more reliable view is needed