Which river has the best roach fishing?

tiddlertamer

TT,

There is no substitute to local knowledge so I would ask in the tackleshop or even better visit a local canal, river or lake (maybe without your tackle at first) then sit and watch somebody who's catching regularly (not someone who is not catching regularly).

watch where they are casting, what bait they are using, what float they are using, how deep they are fishing what size hooks and line they are using, try to glean any useful info from them like which other good swims there are along the stretch and which swims are not so good etc.

Most anglers will give you this information as long as you don't pester them too much.

Good luck and tight lines.

BB

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

TT,

There is no substitute to local knowledge...

Absolutely, and even more so at this time of the year when they shoal up and a hundred yards either way can mean the difference between blanking and a net full.

If you go for a look-see take note of everything you see, weather, speed of current, time of day, tide state (if applicable), as well as what any successful anglers are doing.

As a beginner, big roach are just a dream. I need to have a day on the riverbank during which I actually catch some fish!

Big fish would be lovely but the reality is that any fish, no matter what their size, are what I'm after. Tiddlers galore would be lovely in fact...

I just need to get a bit of confidence in the bank.

Just in case you are not aware of it, cold weather is the hardest time for fishing, because the fish move less, being cold blooded, and therefore eat less. When I started fishing as a teenager I read all sorts of books saying how winter was a good time for fishing, but I never even caught one fish! But it is much easier in teh summer - so please don't get disheartened. In my experience you are more likely to catch in running water, as long as it's not in flood, as the fish have to use energy against the current. Apologies if someone has already said all this!

It would be very helpful if you said where you lived, cos it may be someone on AN can advise on local waters or even meet up. But I do agree with what has been said about the tackle shops being a fund of local knowledge.

john clarke

Just in case you are not aware of it, cold weather is the hardest time for fishing, because the fish move less, being cold blooded, and therefore eat less. When I started fishing as a teenager I read all sorts of books saying how winter was a good time for fishing, but I never even caught one fish! But it is much easier in teh summer - so please don't get disheartened. In my experience you are more likely to catch in running water, as long as it's not in flood, as the fish have to use energy against the current. Apologies if someone has already said all this!

It would be very helpful if you said where you lived, cos it may be someone on AN can advise on local waters or even meet up. But I do agree with what has been said about the tackle shops being a fund of local knowledge.

This type of information is extremely useful. I drew a blank on both of the last two occasions I fished and it's encouraging to know that climactic conditions as well as my own ineptitude are responsible for this!

I'm certainly a running water fan and I'll be down at my local rivers over the Christmas period. Probably the Rivers Lee, Roding and other tributaries of the Thames.

I'm currently based in north London near Finsbury Park. Rumour has it they are opening up the Finsbury Park lake for angling but I think I'll stick to rivers and finding spots in the countryside where I can escape from inner city life.

My local tackle dealer is Sharps Fishing Tackle in Malden Road in Kentish Town/Gospel Oak way. It's a fantastic shop and it's like stepping back in time. You'll find so much there in the way of equipment and bait but also advice.

But it's good too to hear from people here about their angling experiences and advice. And I'm up for meeting up with anglers who can pass on some of their fishing experience. Blanking can get you down!

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)