Which river has the best roach fishing?

tiddlertamer

Somewhere near London and the south east is best for me but I'm sure others elsewhere would be interested in the subject.

Or are you all camped out at commercial fisheries waiting for yet another mirrror carp from your favourite lake? (Am I missing something here?)

Just kidding, please let a humble, novice silverfish fan know where the best roach are and how to catch them...

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

Hi TiddlerTamer,

What do you mean by 'the best roach fishing'?. Do you mean where the largest Roach can be caught? or do you mean where the best quantity of Roach can be caught?

Either way; If we knew where the best roach fishing is we would be fishing there now.

There are 3lb+ Roach on the Thames but you will have to find them yourself as anyone who has spent the time and effort in finding them is not likely to give this information away.

I know of 2 places on the upper river Lea where I and my close friends have caught 2lb+ Roach but Im not likely to tell anyone else their where-abouts as it will very soon be ruined and the large Roach wouldn't be there long, plus I would be shot.

But if you search for them around the London area on the river Thames, river Lea, Kennet and river Colne then there are large Roach to be caught in all these rivers.

So all you have to do is read up on the types of swims and types of rivers (or stilwaters) where you are likely to find them; and why, then you are on your way to catching your 2lb+ Roach. But if you do find them then keep it close to your chest.

A good book that I am currently reading -->'Roach: The Gentle Giants - John Bailey'

As for the best places to fish for a good days roach fishing sport then at this time of year I would concentrate on rivers rather than stillwaters as the fish are constantly using a lot of their energy to just maintain their position in the flows; so it is logical that they will need to replenish their energy more often by eating more than their still water bretheren.

Roach can be found in most types of swim but concentrate on the edges of rush beds, or in deeper long streamy runs and around creases in the flows and around bends in the river etc. and use small hooks and baits at this time of year, although breadflake is a good bait, and feed little and often.

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

God know where they are! But that's the beauty of them. A 2lb roach is surely the most sought after and special fish you can catch, especially from a river.

Even if people know bits of water which sometimes hold big roach (they're quite nomadic), they're unlikely to tell you. Also bear in mind that one man's 2lber is another man's 12ozer. Only one of those men will own scales... ;) (not a dig at Boldbear, in case it reads like that).

As for catching them, I'd look for a nice steady glide with a decent depth (compared to the rest of the river), about walking pace or slower, with a gravel or otherwise hard bottom. In an ideal world you'd be fishing a river which is fining down from heavy rain and has a tinge of colour, in nice mild, settled weather. In the daytime (it's a perfect overcast day, naturally :rolleyes: ) I'd trot breadflake and feed a little mashed bread regularly, then at dusk swap to a quivertip with liquidised bread in a feeder and flake on the hook, and fish into the first hour or so of darkness. And just hope they're there!

EDIT: oh, and I'd definitely rather be chasing big roach in a smaller river. There are indeed big roach in the Thames, but unless you have some first class info I would rather concentrate my efforts on a smaller river with a reuptation for producing the odd biggie. Somewhere like the Kennet, Test, Avon, or maybe a small tributary of the upper Thames. At least then you can keep searching until you find them and cover a lot more water.

Edited by Anderoo

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Somewhere near London and the south east is best for me but I'm sure others elsewhere would be interested in the subject.

Or are you all camped out at commercial fisheries waiting for yet another mirrror carp from your favourite lake? (Am I missing something here?)

Just kidding, please let a humble, novice silverfish fan know where the best roach are and how to catch them...

HI

Well if we knew I pretty sure we wouldnt tell, especially on a site like this, why? Obvious really.

The fun part in fishing is finding these things for yourself, or asking locally, walking the banks is also very good, but above all try fishing for them and none better than as Anderloo mentions upper reaches of rivers are a good start.

Not a London expert on rivers but the Lea valley might be worth a look, and it its not too far the Kennet around Newbury would be a good choice also.

Edited by Rabbit

Kennet around Newbury would be a good choice also.

Even better further upstream - Barton Court has some nice roach - and my pb Roach (2lb11oz) came from not far upstream of there.....

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

But maybe your definition of good roach fishing is somewhere where you can get a nice bag of roach with some of them reaching half a pound or even a pound? You describe yourself as a novice. If you really are, this would be a better place to start. At times people have told me the Thames is good for this, but my impression is the flow can be quite a problem in winter. My experience is that it takes a few sessions to get used to a place, and it would be best to start not too far from home.

Edited by The Flying Tench

john clarke

What do you mean by 'the best roach fishing'?. Do you mean where the largest Roach can be caught? or do you mean where the best quantity of Roach can be caught?

As a beginner, big roach are just a dream. I need to have a day on the riverbank during which I actually catch some fish!

Big fish would be lovely but the reality is that any fish, no matter what their size, are what I'm after. Tiddlers galore would be lovely in fact...

I just need to get a bit of confidence in the bank.

Remember when you first started? Did you have any days when you blanked? Did you begin to doubt?

I want to find a spot, preferably somewhere beautiful, though somewhere you can to get to on public transport, where I have a day to remember. Maybe the roach won't be crawling up my line, but with just a modicum of skill, I learn what it is like to be a successful angler...

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days without taking a fish. (Hemingway - The old man and the sea)

"What do you mean by 'the best roach fishing'?. Do you mean where the largest Roach can be caught? or do you mean where the best quantity of Roach can be caught?"

Somewhere I can just catch a few roach...