A Good Day's Fishing

Huge_Vitae

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Salar,

Yes there was a ggod swell running, I was fishing with 1 1/2lb of lead to hold the bottom!!!!

I have my anchor 'tripped' to counter such an accourance, unfortunately I asked a crew mate on the last trip to re tie the trip, (I use 1 Metric Tonne breaking strain line for my trip) and he retied it for me, what I didn't realise was that he doubled over the trip several times before tying it.............

My fault......... should have done it myself or have noticed the error.

I had a choice after the windlass had refused to pull up the line (it has a 4.6 tonne pull) and manouvering the boat to pull out the anchor had failed (I only have a 250hp engine!!!) to cut the line or lose the front half of the boat, I decided to cut the line :rolleyes:

Who cares................ anchors are cheap, will whip across to Pompey soon when the tide is high and nick Salar's off his boat demon

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

Great write-up Huge.

But if these are any sort of ferrous metal

Posted Image

I'm not sure it's Harry's wire line you need to worry about as a trigger for old magnetic mines.

Safer by far if you drive the boat and avoid the railing. :D:D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Made that mistake myself! Its amazing how strong a cord doubled or trippled is - I rigged a pot anchor with the cord tied round three times and couldnt break it out - it bent the anchor first! Lucky it was a small one.

I went on SeaStart's Diesel course today (brilliant) with two of Hampshire Constabulary's Marine Division's best - having bought them both a beer at lunchtime, I am sure they are now keeping a watchful eye on Salar's anchor. If it goes missing you might find the Gosport Mitchell 31 with a blue flashing light paying Fubar a visit :P

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

HiHo Newt.............

I understand that it is titanium in the claws...

the 'gap' in the middle is Nylon ringed by cobult chrome to mark the space as the plastic wont show up on the xrays.....

All in all it cost me £35,000 so if it rusts I shall be complaining..If I attract a mine and it blows up I shall count on you to issue a protest

Salar, If you mentioned my real name to the crew of the Hants Police Lauch they would shudder!!!!

It's not a mitchell...........

Its a Seaward (similar but different) and was made on the Isle of Wight.......

Please don't feel inferior just because you live in a second rate County.... One day we will accept the Mainland as part of the Isle of Wight and you can enjoy the protection of a land unconqoured and not blemished by the foreign aspects of your own heritage........

"My imaginary friend doesn't like your imaginary friend is no basis for armed conflict...."

Huge_Vitae:

Its a Seaward (similar but different) and was made on the Isle of Wight.......

They have several boats now, including a super-fast RIB that somehow got nicked from smugglers and "passed on". I am pretty sure these guys' particular Seaward was replaced as they were talking about it, the diesels they have now certainly would not fit in a Seaward without sinking it! I have seen a Plod Seaward around the Solent at least until a year a so ago, probably still in service.

I heard a reference today to the South of the IoW as "the Dark Side" - which cracked me up :D:D

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk

as the plastic wont show up on the xrays .....

Oh the plastic could certainly be made to show up just fine on X-ray. But with the settings it would need, the bone would not show very well and the soft tissue that would also show would make it really difficult to see what was inside.

Years ago I pulled solo night duty in a small medical clinic and often had no patients so nothing to do. I can tell you that with the proper settings, you can X-ray a magazine centerfold picture and get a decent image. Just a matter of not using much power or time on the exposures. :D:D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Smashing write up and pictures (especially the sunset), thanks for taking the time and effort to share it with us. I seem to fall into the catagory of arm chair angler now so it was especially interesting for me.

Couple of things, do you fish off the Needles for Cod, if so do you use braid AND still need 1 1/2lb of lead?

The Pout looks just the job for smoking, have you ever tried it? I have been told it is brilliant.

As for the "trip" on the anchor, I used to use tie/tye wraps, you get the same weak point every time.

Thanks again for posting. :)

Alan

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Armchair Angler Alan, not for long I hope I know how that feels, spent almost 2 years hardly able to walk and in and out of hospital but chin up mate, things usually get better. As i said I know how you are feeling but wont pry on an open forum. If you want a shoulder to cry on feel free to pm me, I have been through a lot and a problem shared etc, although I note that you are not without your share of friends on here :)

I do indeed fish the Needles a lot, but at the moment the Cod Championships are underway so I tend to stay away from the bickering and the radio calls that somehow my Boat is in some charter skippers 'spot' which I didn't realise he had purchased from some Sea Registry office :mad:

Never tried smoking Pout but was talking about various things re cooking them as some of the fish we caught were blinders well over 3LB. (and probably will get bigger everytime I tell the story :rolleyes: )

I have tried cable ties for a trip but they usually fail when I dont want them to.

And at certain times of the tide you need a lot of lead, even with Braid, to hold the bottom around here.