Bumping fish

The Flying Tench

TFT, were you using a fixed spool or a pin? I seem to bump fewer grayling (and dace) since using a pin. ........ use small, sharp hooks and accept that I'll get more bites than fish :)

I was using a fixed spool. That's all I have at the moment. I'm a bit of a spendthrift, mainly because I still want to have something to look forward to at Christmas in a few years time! Yes, I did sense that may have been part of the problem. With cold hands I didn't have such a sense of control letting the line slip from the spool as I normally do, and that probably also affected striking.

As Budgie says, it's a bit of a paradox that having some pole elastic helps, but he (and Tigger) lost less fish through bumping when changing to braid. Though Chris doesn't make the same claim for braid, and uses it for other reasons. I think I shall try braid when I next change my line!

john clarke

I was using a fixed spool. That's all I have at the moment. I'm a bit of a spendthrift, mainly because I still want to have something to look forward to at Christmas in a few years time! Yes, I did sense that may have been part of the problem. With cold hands I didn't have such a sense of control letting the line slip from the spool as I normally do, and that probably also affected striking.

As Budgie says, it's a bit of a paradox that having some pole elastic helps, but he (and Tigger) lost less fish through bumping when changing to braid. Though Chris doesn't make the same claim for braid, and uses it for other reasons. I think I shall try braid when I next change my line!

I'd put money on that being the problem then, especially with cold hands. Still it sounds great, being out and trotting a float, I'm very jealous!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Think of the fish and try to use barbless hooks at all times, especially when fishing for better fish on light hook lengths, and even more important if theres any snags.

Sharp hooks definitely catch more fish (and dont burst maggots) so thats probably the main cause of "bumping" fish. If your having plenty of bites your set up is obviously sound and you are feeling the fish on the strike - so your hook is almost certainly to blame. Grayling have tough mouths and do twist a lot so you must expect to lose a few. As for chub, they have a huge gob and again from time to time will only be slightly hooked. Try using a hook sharpener and let us know how you get on. Hope this helps.

Then again reflecting on what I posted... as I cant use braid at Timsbury and have only caught big Grayling on the Itchen it wasnt a very fair bit of advice.Maybe its just that bigger grayling dont come off as easy as the smaller ones?

Tigger what sizes are you catching them at?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Then again reflecting on what I posted... as I cant use braid at Timsbury and have only caught big Grayling on the Itchen it wasnt a very fair bit of advice.Maybe its just that bigger grayling dont come off as easy as the smaller ones?

Tigger what sizes are you catching them at?

We were catching them from 6oz to just over three pound. I would say they averaged about 1 1/2 pound. We've had some fantastic sessions recently. On our last trip 3 wks back all four of us had well over 100 Grayling and plenty of Brown trout and Salmon parr also. We were stood up to our groins in pretty fast water and literally dropping the maggots infront of us. on many a trot as soon as the float hit the water it just disappeared before it even started to trot off!! The Grayling were feet away from us waiting for the maggots, it was probably one of the best sessions I'd ever had.