bass fishing about to start

barry luxton

See the big boys are gathering for the winter removals of the breeding stock.

http://thisisguernsey.co.uk/code/shownewsa...rticleID=003097

to the irritation of the locals. Still Mr Munro had it in for the rsa last year as the rsa were decimating his fish, remember him.

This is unusuall, a commercial moaning about commercial bycatch. He is even moaning about overfishing, didn't know it existed commercially and environment damage, what trawlers, never.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

See the big boys are gathering for the winter removals of the breeding stock.

http://thisisguernsey.co.uk/code/shownewsa...rticleID=003097

to the irritation of the locals. Still Mr Munro had it in for the rsa last year as the rsa were decimating his fish, remember him.

This is unusuall, a commercial moaning about commercial bycatch. He is even moaning about overfishing, didn't know it existed commercially and environment damage, what trawlers, never.

Hi Barry

The man has an understandable gripe, he is probaly only a small scale commercial like me, he regards the other large vessels with concern because he feels that they will desemate his income and they will.

I have the same problem, there are lots of French trawkers where I work 6-12 mile zone, hears me rodding up nice quaity bass and they come along with a trawl and thats the end of my fish, fish from 36cm up to 10-12 pounds tons of it, gone with one tow. How do you think I felt like as I watch their cods ends CRANED up onto their boats full with English bass and then come home and tell the wife that allowing for the diesel bill I have made a loss, and she retorts how are we going to pay the bills

So I went out and bought a bigger boat still under 10 mtr mind you, and started trawling the bass up, and trying to beat the French trawlers to the spots, sometimes we do and times we dont. Nearly kill ourselves afew times when we first started doing it, trawl fast on the bottom in the spring tides right out in the Channnel is no joke when you start winchiing back into a following sea.

Like the man with the gripe, I to tried to protect my income, and life, I asked Joe Borg to protect the bass spawning stock from the French pair trawlers, in the breeding season so that there would be more bass for everyone, and more importantlly I would not have to take some of the risks I take for what I catch. Its a dog eat dog world if you do not catch them in a blink of an eye someone else will, thats the reality of it.

I dont blame him for his gripe, for he no doubt has just cause, not that anyone will take notice of it, thats life.

regards steve

Hi Barry

The man has an understandable gripe, he is probaly only a small scale commercial like me, he regards the other large vessels with concern because he feels that they will desemate his income and they will.

I have the same problem, there are lots of French trawkers where I work 6-12 mile zone, hears me rodding up nice quaity bass and they come along with a trawl and thats the end of my fish, fish from 36cm up to 10-12 pounds tons of it, gone with one tow. How do you think I felt like as I watch their cods ends CRANED up onto their boats full with English bass and then come home and tell the wife that allowing for the diesel bill I have made a loss, and she retorts how are we going to pay the bills

So I went out and bought a bigger boat still under 10 mtr mind you, and started trawling the bass up, and trying to beat the French trawlers to the spots, sometimes we do and times we dont. Nearly kill ourselves afew times when we first started doing it, trawl fast on the bottom in the spring tides right out in the Channnel is no joke when you start winchiing back into a following sea.

Like the man with the gripe, I to tried to protect my income, and life, I asked Joe Borg to protect the bass spawning stock from the French pair trawlers, in the breeding season so that there would be more bass for everyone, and more importantlly I would not have to take some of the risks I take for what I catch. Its a dog eat dog world if you do not catch them in a blink of an eye someone else will, thats the reality of it.

I dont blame him for his gripe, for he no doubt has just cause, not that anyone will take notice of it, thats life.

regards steve

Hi Steve,

Munro the Guernsey fish organisation chairman was the guy who instigated the sfc to hold the consultation regarding the uk based rsa going over and decimating the fish stock. Although it was unfounded, he has been asked in the press to substantiate his comments on more than one occasion from last year, to date, nothing, so until he does it is hearsay and pub talk. As i understand it there has been no final word from the sfc in Guernsey on the outcome of that issue. Regarding the power of one trawler, the rsa would have to do a lot of fishing to match one of those boats that Munro has concerns over.

So he is now complaining about others who have a legitimate right to be there, it has already been tested in the court of appeal this year. Any protection of the stock must come from the sfc. If they do or choose to do nothing then what hope is there. To date there is no comment from the sfc.

The fish that we are talking about are also not for the islanders benifit. When they are caught most of it is shipped to france. So it appears whoever catches those fish, guernsey boats, uk mainland or Jersey, or french, there is no local benifit.

You have put the fishing around our shores into a perspective of dog eat dog and i agree, that is what it is, with no thought for the stock whoever gets there first gets the prize. Sounds like you have seen the light and moved from line caught to trawling, hope it works for you. The article reinforces that it is not just the foreign vessels going after the breeding stock. Again as you intimate, if there is good bass out there, why the heck is there a need to fish for the juvenile ones. Don't make sence. The price that bass is selling at and the crappy ones you see in the supermarket fish counters, it's a shame you can't sell direct. Good for you and also the end user. Wonder if i could become a fish merchant and earn us a few bob.

Edited by barry luxton

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

The article is fairly misleading - the big boats (think of a 50m+ factory ship like the 'Chris -Andra' off Trawlermen) are fishing for Scad to be frozen at sea and exported to Japan. Unfortunately they will catch bass that are feeding on the scad and will either land or dump them as they're not set up to do anything with them. They are not really stealing the local fish as no loacl boats fish for scad, however they are a problem though as they tow away pots and remove the bass's food source. They've been around since the start of November, I saw 13 'non-Guernsey' boats working off the west coast 2 weeks ago.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

The article is fairly misleading - the big boats (think of a 50m+ factory ship like the 'Chris -Andra' off Trawlermen) are fishing for Scad to be frozen at sea and exported to Japan. Unfortunately they will catch bass that are feeding on the scad and will either land or dump them as they're not set up to do anything with them. They are not really stealing the local fish as no loacl boats fish for scad, however they are a problem though as they tow away pots and remove the bass's food source. They've been around since the start of November, I saw 13 'non-Guernsey' boats working off the west coast 2 weeks ago.

Thanks for that Toerag, all thirteen can't be all big boats, i would be surprised if none of them was there for the bass. However i don't believe a lot that comes from Munro just like the last time he 'spoke', in any event and would agree with you that it is misleading. Regarding the scad, is it not used for pot bait, when i was in alderney last year i see it being loaded.

Yep, scad is used for pot bait - however the potters are complaining bitterly because due to increased demand from China and Japan the price has increased. The boats are all big ones compared ot the local fleet - I reckon the smallest would be 20m (think of the 'Amity II' from Trawlermen). One of the boats photographed from the shore was the 'Oceaan VII' (SCH333) a 90m (300ft) long dutch pelagic freezer trawler. It is actually wider than the biggest Guernsey trawler is long!!! The Guernsey pair team have a combined horsepower of just under 500hp - The Oceaan VII has 5050hp!!!

Yep, scad is used for pot bait - however the potters are complaining bitterly because due to increased demand from China and Japan the price has increased. The boats are all big ones compared ot the local fleet - I reckon the smallest would be 20m (think of the 'Amity II' from Trawlermen). One of the boats photographed from the shore was the 'Oceaan VII' (SCH333) a 90m (300ft) long dutch pelagic freezer trawler. It is actually wider than the biggest Guernsey trawler is long!!! The Guernsey pair team have a combined horsepower of just under 500hp - The Oceaan VII has 5050hp!!!

Thanks Toerag,

No wonder Mr Munro is concerned, wonder how many rsa guys would be required to match one of those, overfishing by commercial, na don't happen. :) So to date and within the last 14 months then, the guy has moaned about: rsa overfishing, Jersey and mainland decimators, now the eu big boys.

For Amity to have a good catch it needs to be over twenty k, for one of the big boys, shall we say two hundred k per trip, that is a lot of fish. So will it stay inshore until it has cleaned up to the detriment of the locals. No pressure from the rsa regarding the scad stock, don't know anyone who would keep them. B)

Hello Toerag

Is the Oceaan VII fishing or acting as a factory for the rest of the fleet?

Is this horse mackerel fishery a new development or some thing that has taken place other years in the past?

I was wondering about the bass by catch.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Hello Toerag

Is the Oceaan VII fishing or acting as a factory for the rest of the fleet?

Is this horse mackerel fishery a new development or some thing that has taken place other years in the past?

I was wondering about the bass by catch.

I have no idea of the nitty-gritty of what's going on as it's not local boats, and I've not been out wrecking this winter to see it first-hand and close up. Some days the boats are close enough to see from the shore, other days they're out of sight, so I think they follow the scad shoals around. There will also be the French boats targetting black bream and bass too - 22 boats based themselves in Cherbourg last winter to take part in the fishery, with boats from as far away as Brest taking part. The scad fishery has been going on for at least 3 years, as that's when I first saw the Wiron I & II pair team working, and as the Guernsey 3-12 mile limit is effectively unregulated at the moment any fish caught there is not subject to quota apparently. I know the Wirons have had John Dory & bass bycatch, but they work out of Plymouth so would expect them to land their bycatch to market.

Barry - nice letter in the press the other day, unfortunately they didn't say that it was directed at Peter Munro so it will have confused some people.