First Fishing Rod

islander

I'll never forget my first rod. An 8 foot length of cane with eyes made from paper clips and taped onto the cane. The top eye was shoved into to top of the cane and a cheap fly reel taped around the cane.

I got the idea from that old kids show "Magpie" which to be honest kicked started my interest in fishing. (Anybody remember that particular Magpie item?)

I used the rod on the local pier to catch Wrasse, Smelt, Pollack and Pout and once lost Small Bass which seemed like a whopper at the time, I remember seeing it drop off the hook and wriggle down the landing stage back into the water.......I still have no luck with that particular species :confused: Of course I had the p!ss ripped out of me by the rich kids whose parents bought them anything and everything but I was happy.

As my dad never fished, my Uncle gave me a proper rod: a 6 ft fly rod. Coupled with a small fixed spool this seemed like a Ferrari of rods in comparison and I moved onto to Mackerel and Garfish which I still love to fish for today at rumpty three years of age :D

Do you remeber your first rod?

Yes was given a warped greenheart fly rod which I used to float fish for perch. Ah the innocence of youth

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Second hand solid glass pier/boat rod and a cheap fixed spool reel. At seven years old, with such heavy gear, I could only cast ten or fifteen yards.

Dad took me for my first trip Cod fishing. He blanked (with proper gear) and I caught a small Codling which I had for tea that night!!!

Hooked ever since and I still have that rod and reel :D

"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first, and call whatever you hit the target."

I was 12 and on holiday in the lake district, i got a 6 foot kit with a cheap reel and a couple of spinners. All in it was not dear (cant remember how much), bought in Woolies and that was the start of a long and expensive fun time.

I've been to Scrabster... and I want to go back!!!

My first rod was a bean cane. I then tried to make a split-cane rod myself (it broke at first cast).

After that came Woolworths - in the 1940s and 50s it was the first port of call for any adolescent buying tackle, good stuff too, and at pocket-money prices. I still have two Woolie's glassfibre rods dating from the 70's, one in use until recently.

A twelve foot three piece, the first two sections were cane and the top solid white glass.

Messing about on the bank one day with no line on the rod false casting, amazing how far the top of a rod can go, never to be seen again.

Dave

ANMC Founder Member. Always learning

Mine was made from a garden cane by my Dad. I can still remember how disappointed I was not to get a real rod. Never looked back tho' :)